EN: je ne veux pas me faire renvoyer non plus

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by katt44, Jul 6, 2013.

1. katt44 New Member

french
    hello i'm sorry i'm pretty new here...i hope i didn't miss out anything important to know before posting!

So i think this is one of my biggest problems ever when it comes to these two..Either and Neither though i do know that :
    you use 'either' in things like this :
    person A : i don't like winter
    person b : i don't like it either

neither :
    A : i don't know what to do
    B : neither do i
    but then i don't know how to translate this :
    A : Tu veux faire une connerie avec moi contre le boss alors?
    B : Je veux bien mais je veux pas me faire renvoyer non plus hein!

How do i translate that? (bolded)
    thank you so much!

2. Oddmania

Oddmania Senior Member

France
    French
    Salut,

La règle veut qu'on utilise not + either (I do not like it either) et neither sans négation (puisque neither contient déjà la négation no).

Cela dit, dans votre exemple, aucun des deux ne conviendrait. Ici, non plus sert juste à intensifier les propos de la personne B.

...D'accord, il est gentil; mais ce n'est pas un Saint non plus!

Je ne suis pas sûr de savoir comment le traduire. Je ne pense même pas que ce soit utile.

3. Omelette

Omelette Senior Member

London
    UK English
    Actually, you could use 'either' in your example, in a way which would sound very natural in spoken English.
    'Yes, ok, but I don't want to get sacked either.'

4. Oddmania

Oddmania Senior Member

France
    French
    Really? That's good to know then!

5. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I don't agree with Omelette. The combination of "yes" and "either" doesn't work for me.
    I'd say, "I'd love to, but I don't want to get the sack", "I'd love to. I just don't want to get the sack" or "I'd love to. I'd also like to keep my job".

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  6. nodnol Senior Member

English UK
    I agree with Oddmania in post 2. I tend to disagree with post 3, but it is a probably down to things like regional accent that 'Yes, ok, but I don't want to get sacked either.' sounds natural to Omelette but not to me. Perhaps 'I'd love to, but I don't want to risk losing my job or anything.'

7. katt44 New Member

french
    i'm sorry it's been so long i know but thank you so so much