EN: Je pourrai passer du temps

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Titi1, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Titi1 New Member

France French
    Next month, I'm on holiday so I will be able (could ?) to spend more time with my children.

I have the feeling that the correct form is "will be able to", but I wonder if "could" could be correct too, and if yes what does it imply ?

Thanks for your help.

2. VanOo

VanOo Senior Member

Paris, France
    Français - France
    Well you can wait for a native to confirm, but I'd advise against.

could is the past or conditionnal form of can. Using futur + present + past in a single sentence would be rather wrong, I might say.

If your holidays are somehow conditionned, maybe 'could' could be used.

3. aeb31 Senior Member

French
    I think the right sentence is "I will be able to ...", simply because it's a future (in French je pourrai and not je pourrais), with no condition.

However, in my opinion, you could use "could" if there was a condition to follow. For example: I could spend more time with my children if they decided not to go with their grandparents.

4. radiok Senior Member

Roubaix
    UK English
    Exactly. :)

Pourrai = will be able to
    Pourrais = could

I'm on holiday next month, so I'll be able to spend more time with my children.
    I'm on holiday next month. I could spend (that) time with my children, but I'd rather just go to the ice-cream parlour with my beau.

5. Titi1 New Member

France French
    That's what I thought but I needed your advice...thanks a lot.