EN: Je vais vous présenter ce jeu vidéo

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Piccolo_, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Piccolo_ Junior Member

français - France
    Salut à tous, hi everyone ;

This is my first new thread here so I hope I'm doing it the right way.
    My question is close to this one; but it's slightly different, so I think it's better to create a new topic for it.

The context is : a reviewer makes a video to review a video game, and he simply says :
    "Je vais vous présenter ce jeu vidéo."
    NB : this sentence could apply in many other contexts : "Je vais vous présenter ce jeu, ce livre, cet album, cette leçon..."

Spontaneously, I would translate that as :
    "I'm going to present you this video game".
    I saw this translation several times on Internet... And this is very close to "I'm going to show you this video game", which is correct, I think.

But I have a doubt about "present you", since on wordreference, all the exemples of "present" seem to have "to" just before the person to whom (<= not sure about this one -_-) the presentation is made.
    Should I write "I'm going to present to you this video game", instead ?

Which sentence is correct ?
    Which one of the two, is the more commonly used ?

Thanks for your help.

2. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    When the indirect object precedes the direct object, the preposition to is omitted. When it follows, it is restored. Thus one may say:
    I'm going to present you this video game OR I'm going to present this video game to you. As to which one you use, it is completely optional.

3. Piccolo_ Junior Member

français - France
    OK, thanks a lot!
    In fact, the rule is exactly the same as in French: "Je vais vous présenter ce jeu" / "Je vais présenter ce jeu aux internautes".
    Thanks again.

4. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    Not exactly. In French, it does not usually work with the indirect object pronoun.

5. Piccolo_ Junior Member

français - France
    Oh, in fact I think it works, but if the indirect object pronoun is before the verb.
    Here the "tense" I used (futur immédiat = aller + infinitif) is tricky for this "rule".
    With other tenses, it's more explicit : "Je vous présente ce jeu", "Il me donne un conseil", "Je leur explique mon point de vue", etc.
    So, the rule is different : in English there's no preposition if the indirect object is before the direct object ; whereas in French there's no preposition if the indirect object is before the verb. [And in French you can't put the indirect object pronoun just after the verb, without preposition]

Sorry for this "off-topic"; and thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  6. Soleil_Couchant Junior Member

English
    I would go with "I'm going to present this video game to you." It may not be the word-for-word translation, but it is the less awkward way to say it in English.

7. Perdrix

Perdrix Junior Member

Jacksonville, FL
    English - USA
    I would also go with "I'm going to present this video game to you," but I don't think it's a phrase that would be said in the context of a video game reviewer discussing a game. It sounds a little too formal. A video game reviewer might say something more along the lines of "I'm going to show you this video game". To make it even more informal and to address a broader audience, the reviewer could also say "I'm going to show you guys this video game".

8. Piccolo_ Junior Member

français - France
    Soleil_Couchant and Perdrix :

OK, I understand...

"I'm going to present this video game to you." is correct, but too formal.
    "I'm going to show you (guys) this video game" is less formal, but still correct.

What about "I'm going to present you this video game" ?
    - geostan said this sentence can be said.
    - Soleil_Couchant said this sounds more awkward than "I'm going to present this video game to you.". What does awkward mean here? Does it mean it sounds as if this sentence was translated from a foreign language? Or, is it awkward for written language, but can be heard in an informal context?

9. Perdrix

Perdrix Junior Member

Jacksonville, FL
    English - USA
    Here 'awkward' means that to my ear, it does sound like it was translated directly from French. It would not be heard in an informal context, and I don't think I've seen it in written language either. That construction ("present you") is often followed by "with," and it means to give someone something - "I'm going to present you with this video game," as in "I'm going to give you this video game".

10. Piccolo_ Junior Member

français - France
    OK, I understand.

I'd just like to have a last confirmation.

If we sum up the different sentences:
    1°) "I'm going to present this video game to you" is correct and formal.
    2°) "I'm going to show you this video game" is correct and less formal.
    3°) "I'm going to show you guys this video game" is correct and informal.
    4°) "I'm going to present to you this video game" is not correct (?)
    5°) "I'm going to present you this video game" is not correct (?) and awkward.

Could you confirm whether sentences number 4 and 5 are correct or not, in terms of English grammar?
    I mean, are they correct but awkward (grammar is respected but you won't see those senteneces anywhere unless they come from a translation), or not correct and awkward (you won't see them "plus" grammar isn't respected)?

I'm sorry to insist with this question; I hope you won't mind... -_-

11. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    Confusing, isn't it?

12. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    I'm a bit late, but in the end, I think all of the English structures we're discussing are too French. They are careful translations of the French sentence, but they're not really what I would say naturally if I were presenting a review of a video game. For one, we tend to omit the indirect object in English when it's quite clear from context.

Today, I'd like to present Game X.
    In this video, I review Game X / ..., I'm going to review Game X.
    Today, I'm going to tell you about Game X.

The first sentence could also be used if you were making an in-person presentation in a formal business context.
    The second sentence, with the simple present, is a very natural and context-neutral way to open a video clip. It replaces "today" with "in this video," since the viewer will see the video sometime after it is made. If you use the near future instead, it's more casual.
    The third sentence takes a very conversational tone, which could be perfectly fine if that's the presenter's style.