1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

En la vida hay que ser honesto, pero la honestidad comienza por uno mismo

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by frizzante007, Sep 10, 2008.

1. frizzante007 New Member

Madrid
    Spanish
    Hello:
    I need your kind assistance because I want to know how to translate to English this sentence: "En la vida hay que ser honesto, pero la honestidad comienza por uno mismo".
    Thanks a lot.

2. chlapec aMODiño...

Galicia, Spain
    Galician & Spanish-Spain
    My proposal (from a non-native point of view!)

In this life, one must be honest, but one should begin by being honest to him/herself.

3. roanheads Senior Member

Scotland, english
    ---" by being honest to oneself "

4. juanp123 Junior Member

English
    Almost literally it would translate to:

In the lifetime there are those that are honest, but honesty starts with oneself.

It is hard to give a more creative translation without the context. Es un decir? In english a more common saying (decir) is something like "Honesty starts with onself."

Does that help?

5. chlapec aMODiño...

Galicia, Spain
    Galician & Spanish-Spain
    Hi again,
    I don't like neither the original expression in spanish "la honestidad empieza por uno mismo", nor the (almost) literal translation "honesty starts with oneself" because, even though the sense is mor or less clear, I don't think it means exactly "being honest to oneself". What's your opinion?

6. frizzante007 New Member

Madrid
    Spanish
    At the beginning I thought to write: "In this life, you have to be honest but honesty begin from oneself".
    Is this ridiculous?.
    Thank for your prompt reply. In one hour I got for answers.
    Thank you very much again.

7. juanp123 Junior Member

English
    You could say "Honesty starts by being honest with yourself". Creo que he escuchado eso por lo menos mil veces en la vida.

Eso me parece que es mas o menos lo que buscas?

8. frizzante007 New Member

Madrid
    Spanish
    I think so, but is there any diference between "with yourself" and "to oneself" for an English speaker?.

9. juanp123 Junior Member

English
    Frizzante, the literal translation seems to lose something in english. The combination of 'en la vida' and 'but' don't quite make sense to me from an english perspective. If you want a longer translation you could use something like "In this life if you want to be honest, honesty begins with yourself/oneself"

10. frizzante007 New Member

Madrid
    Spanish
    Ok, I make a note of that.
    Thanks for your help.

11. roanheads Senior Member

Scotland, english
    Perhaps, ---" Honesty begins by being faithfull to one's own standards of honesty. " La honestidad empiece por ser fiel a las pautas personales de la honestidad.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  12. juanp123 Junior Member

English
    Yourself es lo que alguien normal dice. 'yourself' es personal. Por ejemplo, puede utlizarlo para dar consejos directamente a tu amigo.

Oneself es impersonal como un decir (como 'hay que' en espanol es impersonal). Suena un poco mas sofisticado por eso, tambien.