EN: liste des références dont le stock

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by aeb31, Dec 28, 2012.

1. aeb31 Senior Member

French
    Bonjour à tous,

Je cherche à traduire : liste des références dont le stock de câble diffère de la quantity saisie dans la base et j'ai un problème avec le "dont".

Voici ma proposition : list of the references whom cable stock is not in accordance with the quantity entered in the base.

Cela vous paraît-il correct ?

Merci d'avance.

2. snarkhunter

snarkhunter Senior Member

France, Région parisienne
    French - France
    A mon avis, pas trop...

Il me semble que l'usage de "who/whom/whose" est plutôt réservé à des personnes, d'habitude.

Moi, je pense que j'utiliserais plutôt "for which" dans un tel cas.

... Mais une confirmation par un anglophone natif sera évidemment préférable !

3. catharantus

catharantus Junior Member

Malagasy
  4. aeb31 Senior Member

French
    c'est bien ce qui me semblait aussi. for which me paraît bien. merci snarkhunter !

5. aeb31 Senior Member

French
    merci catharantus !

6. Transfer_02 Senior Member

Espoo, Finland
    English - British
    You could also use "where"

A list of part numbers/references where the physical inventory does not match the quantity in the database.

7. aeb31 Senior Member

French
    Thank you Transfer_02!

8. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    I prefer Snarkhunter's for which.

9. Oddmania

Oddmania Senior Member

France
    French
    What about A list of references with an inventory that doesn't match the quantity... ? (basing myself upon Transfer's suggestion).

10. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Nothing difficult here: it's whose.

Une idée dont le moment est venu.
    An idea whose time has come.

Départements français dont la préfecture n'est pas la plus grande ville: ...
    French départements whose préfecture is not their biggest town: ...

So, in the OP's example: references whose (...) does not tally with the [probably] database.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  11. Transfer_02 Senior Member

Espoo, Finland
    English - British
    But in that case what would you put for (...) ?
    What can a reference "possess"?

It sounds rather literary to me and not appropriate for logistics/IT-speak. I agree that "whose" is a grammatical transposition of "dont", but I just don't think it works so well in this context.

12. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    " ... references, whose cable stock(s) do(es) not tally ...''

There is a misapprehension that ''whose'' cannot be used in relation to inanimate items. Of course it can, in any context. Whose is a possessive pronoun and a relative pronoun.

''Jones is promoting the film, whose new 14-minute Arabic-dubbed trailer ...'' (source)
    '' ... expand the saved view tree until the reference whose display state is to be changed is displayed.'' (source)
    ''... the Eroica is still considered by some to maintain the tradition of the symphony whose primary weight is'... '' (source)
    ''... take the cable whose color corresponds to the laptop color you selected on the menu panel ...'' (source)
    ''... rarer still is the novel whose story is comprised by a single narrator,...'' (source)
    '' ... This was the opera whose first performance (...) led to such cacophonous whistling that ..." (source)
    '' ... This is an English language forum whose aim is ...'' (source)
    (ad infinitum)

13. frenchifried Senior Member

France
    English - UK
    I agree with Enquiring Mind. Shouldn't the French read 'quantité' not 'quantity'?;)

14. Transfer_02 Senior Member

Espoo, Finland
    English - British
    […] I have no problem with using whose ​in a relative clause where the subject is inanimate.

But my point was more to do with the (lexical) context which in this case is logistics/accounting: we are "talking numbers". In mathematics it is quite natural to use "where" to refer to the relationship between variables in an equation: where a is equal to 2b + c. or, ...where a represents the items in inventory and b represents the quantity in the database.

Another suggestion:

List of references with physical inventory discrepancies.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2013
  15. aeb31 Senior Member

French
    frenchifried: yes quantité, not quantity! It's a typo :)

16. Sedulia

Sedulia Senior Member

Paris, France
    **Literate** American English
    "Whom" is not correct here. French dont is often difficult to translate into English as we don't have one word for it.

You certainly can, and indeed often must, use "whose" in English as a possessive referring to non-humans, because there is no another word possible (there is a non-human alternative, for example, with who/that or whom/what). Sentences like "the bear whose cubs..." or "the house whose windows" ... may sound odd, and it may be best to avoid them, but they're not at all incorrect.

Transfer_02's suggestion to use "where" is a way around the problem.

I might translate it, "list of references where the [quantity of] cable stock does not match the quantity entered in the [data] base."

17. aeb31 Senior Member

French
    Thank you Sedulia for your explanations!