EN: more healthy / healthier

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by isausa81, Mar 4, 2009.

1. isausa81 Senior Member

Nantes, FRANCE
    FRANCE - French
    Hello!

I found in a text those 2 expressions:

- it is more healthy
    - it is healthier

I would like to know which expression in the best? What is the difference between the two?

Thanks in advance for your help ;+) !

2. saint saens Senior Member

Paris
    French & English 50/50
    Hello,

For me, you can use both, neither is better or more correct than the other.

ss

3. Mikebo Senior Member

English - UK
    Salut, bonjour,

Oui, je dirais que les deux formes sont correctes.

Cela dit, j'ai l'impression que la 1ère - "more healthy" - peut bien se dire surtout aux Etats-Unis même si, comme beaucoup de choses, elle fait, sans doute, tache d'huile en Angleterre (et ailleurs dans "l'anglophonie").

Moi, je dirais, le plus souvent "healthier". Question de goût!

4. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

The rule of thumb for AE usage on this is as follows:

one-syllable words always take -er: bigger, higher, softer

three or more syllables always take more _____: more interesting, more expensive

two-syllable words usually can take either form: more healthy, healthier. The choice is often one of habit or style more than grammatical correctness.

5. x.LanguageLover.x Junior Member

Australia
    English (AE) & Italiano
    Hi isausa81,
    I'd definitely say that "healthier" sounds better to me.
    However i am familiar with the rule that wildan1 mentioned above and agree that it really depends on the individual word and what is more commonly used.
    But I would definitely say that for the word healthy, "healthier" sounds better than "more healthy".
    Hope I've helped :)!

6. CO_eNGLISH_TEACHER New Member

ENGLISH
    "Healthier" is by far more common. If you want to prove it. Just google "more healthy" within quotes "" and you will get only 6,180,000 matches, while if you try "healthier" you will get nearly 80,000,000 matches. :)

7. emmsy

emmsy Senior Member

Orleans France
    UK English
    I would agree healthier is probably more common - just don't say more healthier - you would be surprised how many brits do! :D

8. Elenafrom New Member

Spain
    USA English
    I think wildan1 is correct in almost all of his post. However, 2 syllable adjectives ENDING IN -Y form the comparative and superlative with -er, -est: "pretty-prettier-the prettiest"/ "easy-easier-the easiest"/ "healthy-healthier-the healthiest". That said, I´ve been seeing "more healthy" all over lately (both from US and UK speakers).

9. anecr Junior Member

French
    I read in a article "When Michelle Obama became the First Lady she decided to use her influence to help the population to be more healthy" . I've always taught that as a 2 syllable-adjective ending by -y, healthy would become healthier. What am I supposed to tell my students? Please help!

10. Omelette

Omelette Senior Member

London
    UK English
    Actually, both forms - 'more healthy' and 'healthier' - are possible. (So you weren't wrong, only slightly too restrictive :))
    You might like to look at the thread in the English Only forum healthier or more healthy?
    Personally, I would say 'healthier' is probably more widely acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
  11. anecr Junior Member

French
    Thank you for you reply. As teachers or non natives, I guess we are always more restricive. It's true that it is always easier (more easy?) to be flexible with a language you master. Thank you for the 'bonus' thread.