EN: on several occasions

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by regisbobe, Nov 18, 2009.

1. regisbobe Junior Member

Paris
    French, France
    What is the correct sentence ?

I have met Jose at several occasions and was secretary to his thesis.

or

I have met Jose on several occasions and was secretary to his thesis.

thank you

2. dr_mario1001 New Member

Northern Illinois
    English - United States
    "I have met Jose on several occasions and was secretary to his thesis" is correct.

3. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    Yes, on is the correct preposition, but I wouldn't say secretary to his thesis. Secretary for his thesis sounds better if you mean that "I" typed it up for him.

4. regisbobe Junior Member

Paris
    French, France
    "Secretary" is part of the board of the jury that delivered the thesis.

5. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    Okay, but secretary to still sounds odd to me, but perhaps this is a British usage.

6. timboleicester

timboleicester Senior Member

Paris
    English - UK
    No, sounds weird too this side of the water ....but it may be a technical epression which is supposed to sound wierd....

7. regisbobe Junior Member

Paris
    French, France
    "secretary" is a spanish title which mean that I had to sign the decision the jury concerning the pHD. I had also to say few spanish words to invite friends and family to join the auditorium to hear the jury's decision.

8. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    In American English, a person who is part of the jury (who reads the thesis and decides whether or not it is acceptable) is called a "committee member."

So if you want the English-speakers in the audience to understand you role, you would say, "I met Jose on several occasions, and was (have been) a member of his thesis committee."

It might be helpful if you could give us the French original... assuming there is a French original (but if there never was any French at all, you could have posted in Spanish-English, or in English Only). :p