1. saddamtohmto

saddamtohmto Member

Fribourg
    Francophone / Suisse
    bonjour,

quelqu'un peut-il m'aider à traduire en anglais la phrase suivante:

Nous illustrons en quoi consiste la réponse fonctionnelle via le système de Lotka-Volterra.

Voici mon essai:

We illustrate of what functional response consists via the Lotka-Volterra system.

Merci à tous

Note des modérateurs : nous avons fusionné plusieurs discussions pour créer ce fil.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
  2. Nil-the-Frogg

Nil-the-Frogg Senior Member

Essonne
    Français (France)
    Personnellement, j'allègerais l'original: "Nous illustrons [le principe de] la réponse fonctionnelle via..."

Alors, en anglais, j'imagine que l'on obtient: "We illustrate [the principle of] functional response through..."

En espérant ne pas trop dire de bêtises :)

3. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    I'm not crazy about the sentence, but the English word order can be improved.

"We illustrate what the functional response via the Lotka-Volterra system consists of."

I know that one should avoid placing a preposition at the end of a sentence, but any other word order seems impossible to me.

Cheers!

4. Iznogoud

Iznogoud Senior Member

French - Canada
    How about: "We illustrate what the functional response consists of via the Lotka-Volterra system."

Then again, instead of a litteral translation of the verb, why not simply: "We illustrate the functional response via the Lotka-Volterra system."

5. saddamtohmto

saddamtohmto Member

Fribourg
    Francophone / Suisse
    Thank you all,

mon style en anglais est parfois un peu lourd...

By the way, another question about consist: what is the difference between to consist in and to consist of ?

Merci

6. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    I feel that consists of sounds better, but I'm uncertain if there is a difference between the two. :)

7. Bobish New Member

French
    Bonjour,

Je cherches a traduire la phrase suivante en anglais:

"Je vais commencer par expliquer en quoi consiste cet exercice"

Est-ce que quelqu'un peut me suggérer une traduction car j'ai l'impression que l'utilisation de "what" en dehors d'une phrase interrogative n'est pas très soutenue....

e.g. "I will start by explaining what this exercise consist in"

It does't sound good...

8. bloomiegirl

bloomiegirl Senior Member

New York
    US English
    In this case, I would probably translate "en quoi consiste cet exercice" with "the components of this excercise."

9. Bobish New Member

French
    Hi Bloomiegirl !

Thanks for your suggestion!

In this case, I am not sure this translation meets correctly to my expectation.

Indeed, "en quoi consiste" means "what is the definition of" and not really the components that are included in this exercise...

In fact my french sentence is:

"Je vais commencer par expliquer en quoi consiste un exercice de benchmark"

10. bloomiegirl

bloomiegirl Senior Member

New York
    US English
    Bobish -- Je crois que la traduction dépend de ce qui suit; s'agit-il d'une définition du mot "benchmark" ou d'une description de toutes les étapes dans ce benchmark.
    -- Si c'est le premier, je suggère : "I will begin by defining what a benchmark is."
    -- Par contre, si ce qui suit décrit l'exercice en détail, je dirais : "I will begin by describing the steps (or phases) of a benchmark."

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  11. Bobish New Member

French
    Merci beaucoup Bloomiegirl.

" I will begin by defining what a benchmark is" est la traduction que je cherche.

Have a nice day !

12. peanut24 Member

Québec, QC
    English - Canada
    I want to say:
    Can you explain to me in what consists this verification, and if we are involved in it?

My attempt:
    Pouvez-vous m'expliquer en quoi consiste cette vérification et si nous y sommes impliqués?

Merci!

13. arundhati Senior Member

France
    French - France
    It's really good in my opinion, but note that "impliqué" is really strong, and maybe "Pouvez-vous m'expliquer en quoi consiste cette vérification et si nous sommes concernés ?" would be more neutral.

14. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Ou encore:
    ...si nous sommes en cause

15. SummerStagiaire New Member

Paris/ Athens Ga
    American English
    I agree, 'impliqué' carries a connotation of blame or guilt; 'concerné' fits better with 'involved'.

16. akaAJ Senior Member

New York
    American English, Yiddish
    The English is a bit convoluted. "what does this verification consist of" "What actually do you verify/examine in this case". "and how does this concern us" "What exactly are we expected to do/contribute/acknowledge"?

17. PeterLaw New Member

English - UK
    I've been given a question on Mathieu Kassovitz and his films to answer for A2 level French, and I just can't translate it idiomatically into English:

En quoi consiste son originalité?

I've thought perhaps it means what involvement does his originality play in his films, or even from where does his originality come; I really have no way of knowing for certain, and that's pretty important here.

Thanks for your help,

Peter

18. Chris' Spokesperson Senior Member

Paris
    English - Ireland
    What does his originality consist in? I.e., what is the nature of his originality? How would you characterise his originality? What makes him original? etc., etc.

19. Novanas Senior Member

English AE/Ireland
    I myself would say, "In what way is he/his work original?", but see what others say.

20. PeterLaw New Member

English - UK
    This is great, thanks guys!

Is there any way of translating 'en quoi' out of any context?

21. Alucard Tepes Member

French
    Hi,

"En quoi consiste" could be translated more like "What is" or "What are there inside". So for me the question is more about his originality it-self, what is it?

It seems to be really import so wait for more advices than mine... ^^'

Edit : too late... XD

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  22. Chris' Spokesperson Senior Member

Paris
    English - Ireland
    As I said: what is the nature of his originality? How would you characterise his originality?

23. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    It is understandable when translated word-for-word, even if the translations suggested above sound far better in English: in what consists his originality? The answer would take the form his originality consists in...

24. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    Grammatically, en quoi will generally be equivalent to "in what" or "of what." Of course a grammatical "translation" is not necessarily idiomatic or natural; that's what we need context for!

EDIT: Kelly B beat me to it.

25. PeterLaw New Member

English - UK
    I really can't get my head around the idea of using "in" with consist, "of" seems so much better, but as you say, context provides the change of preposition.
    Anyway, thank you for the replies, I wish you guys were my French teachers.

26. Chris' Spokesperson Senior Member

Paris
    English - Ireland
    Look them up Peter: "consist in" and "consist of" have slightly different meanings.

27. PeterLaw New Member

English - UK
    Well that really was an experience - I'm fairly certain I've never consciously seen "consist in" before, now I know. English ever changes, it seems.