EN: rien ne justifiait ma présence ici

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by bettymiss, Dec 11, 2012.

1. bettymiss Senior Member

French
    Bonjour,

Est-il possible d'utiliser "here" dans un récit au passé?
    Ex: J'ai avancé dans les rues désertes d'une zone pavillonnaire. [...] Rien ne justifiait ma présence ici

J'aurais tendance à traduire par: Nothing justified my presence there (car au moment où le narrateur raconte cette histoire, il ne se trouve plus sur les lieux). Ai-je raison ou peut-on dire "Nothing justified my presence here" et quelle serait la différence?

Merci beaucoup!

2. snarkhunter

snarkhunter Senior Member

France, Région parisienne
    French - France
    Bonjour,

Selon moi, l'utilisation de "here" ne serait justifiée que si l'endroit où se trouve le narrateur était exactement le même que celui auquel la narration se réfère. Sinon, "there" s'impose.

3. kebbles New Member

English - Australia
    You could honestly use both "here" and "there". "Here" would be perhaps more suitable if you have described in detail the place, or to whatever "here" refers to. "here" is generally closer, and "there" implies you are further from the place and that you are distant from the memory, I guess.

4. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    "Here" is an example of free indirect style (discours indirect libre). "There" would just be indirect style, since the narration doesn't shift all the way into the perspective of the character being described.