1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Tina75 New Member

France
    English
    Hi everyone,

The french phrase is "tu bosseras en sous-marin". A superintendent is addressing one of the officers who isn't in charge of the case but supposed to help gather necessary information. I was thinking about "working undercover", but I'm not sure whether that has exactly the same meaning here.. Does anyone have a better idea?

Thank you

2. CARNESECCHI Senior Member

Auvergne
    French / France
    Hello,
    "sous-marin", "taupe" are expressions for some member of a group, but secretly spying his enviroment for an other group.
    I think that, though "uncercover" carries the meaning of "secret", it does not have the meaning of "joining a group to spy it for another group", I would rather say "as a mole"
    Hope it helps!

3. Tina75 New Member

France
    English
    Thanks! Your reply comes as a relief because I sent my translation through yesterday and 'working as a mole' is in fact exactly what I came up with in the end, although I still wasn't 100% sure. Thank you for your input!

4. constantlyconfused

constantlyconfused Senior Member

English - British
    [FONT=&quot](A policy error by the company results in...) Incompréhension des clients ou décision de reprendre les stocks en « sous-marin »

Following on from the above, would 'en sous-marin' here mean something like "surreptitiously"?
    [/FONT]

5. Chimel Senior Member

Belgium
    Français
    Are you sure it's not a typo for "reprendre les comptes en sous-main"?

"En sous-main": under the table, secretly (WR - have also a look on various theads here about "en sous-main"). The meaning happens to be pretty close to "sous-marin", but without the idea of spying, which is quite weird in this context.