1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

EN: things we're going to be looking at / things we're going to look at

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by philouf, Jul 7, 2013.

1. philouf New Member

French
    Hello everybody,

I've just watched a video to learn English. In this video, the teacher said : "This is the two things we're going to be looking at today".
    What would be the difference between this sentence and this one : "This is the two things we're going to look at today".
    The difference is related to the duration of the discussion/investigation or because this is the first time we discuss the topic.

2. moustic Senior Member

near Limoges
    British English
    There is not much difference between the two sentences. The first insists more on the process of "looking at something".

The beginning of your sentence is surprising, especially for an English lesson: "this is" instead of "these are" ...

3. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    Are you certain you heard This is? It should be These are.

Although it is in light print, I see that the previous poster mentioned the same error.

4. philouf New Member

French
    You're right. The correct sentence is : These are the 2 points we're going to be looking at today (I've misheard what it said). If I search this sentence on the Internet, I see that it is very used. How would you translate in French the difference between the 2 sentences : - These are the 2 points we're going to look at today: ces sont les 2 points que nous allons voir aujourd'hui / - These are the 2 points we're going to be looking at today : ces sont les 2 points sur lesquels nous allons nous pencher aujourd'hui ?

5. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    Perhaps: Ce sont / Voici les deux points que nous allons considérer aujourd'hui.