1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

EN: tu ne réussiras pas sauf si tu travailles durement

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by hannibal25, Jun 24, 2007.

1. hannibal25 Junior Member

algeria arabic
    hi. i'd like to know if this sentence is grammatically correct. "you will succeed unless you don't work hard."

2. Notquitegenius Senior Member

North Carolina, USA
    US, English
    Yes, it is grammatically correct, but normally you would say "You will succeed if you work hard" because it sounds less awkward that way.

3. Sr. Moose

Sr. Moose Senior Member

Frostbite Falls, Alces and English
    Although this sentence appears to be grammatically correct, it is not idiomatic to English and therefore not considered accurate. Normally, when negation of a verb is involved in a conditional factual relation that employs the conjunction "unless", the negation is placed in the main clause, and conditional affirmation resides in the subordinate clause, the inverse of your example sentence:

"You will not succeed unless you work hard."
    "Unless you work hard (conditional affirmation), you will not succeed (negation)."

But exceptions do exist. The sentence can be reconstructed to have parallel affirmations, although in the following example the verb within the subordinate clause may misleadingly appear to be a negation:

"You will succeed (affirmation) unless you choose (conditional affirmation) to not work hard."

4. anangelaway

anangelaway Senior Member

Toulouse
    French
    Bonjour hannibal25, :)

Would you please post the French original sentence? That way, we will know exactly what you're trying to translate.

5. hannibal25 Junior Member

algeria arabic
    hi an angelaway. the original sentence is : "tu ne réussiras pas sauf si tu travailles durement" merci d'avoir pris la peine de répondre.bye.

6. OlivierG

OlivierG Senior Member

Toulouse, France
    France / Français
    Hi, hannibal :)

I changed the title of your thread in order to include the original sentence.
    The Sr. Moose's suggestion (You will not succeed unless you work hard) seems then to be very close to what you are seeking.

Your translation would match the French sentence "Tu réussiras sauf si tu ne travailles pas durement", which is not exactly the same. ;)

Olivier

7. carolineR

carolineR Senior Member

Indian Ocean
    France
    ... except I don't think any French speaker would say "... si tu ne travailles pas durement".
    I know this is not grammar but vocabulary, however I feel a French person would say "... si tu ne travailles pas d'arrache pied" or "... si tu ne travailles pas davantage/"... si tu ne travailles pas bien davantage que tu ne le fais" :)

8. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Belgium/French
    ... ou simplement "si tu ne travailles pas dur".
    "Durement" doesn't collocate well with "travailler" in French, I'm afraid, at least nowadays.

9. hannibal25 Junior Member

algeria arabic
    Many thanks to all of you for your comments. I could finally make it out and now I feel much more confident when it comes to teaching conditional sentences.

10. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    Travailler durement sounds perfectly correct and common to me.