1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

En una sartén con poco aceite freir la carne

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by lallitapz, Jun 16, 2007.

1. lallitapz

lallitapz Senior Member

worldwide!
    Italy, Italian
    Hola :)
    Acabo de encontrar esa traducción en un paquete de tortillas.. ¿qué opináis?

texto orígen:
    En una sartén con poco aceite freir la carne. Una vez cocinada retirar la carne. Sofreir en esa misma sartén la acabolla con los pimientos. Una vez sofrito añadirle la carne cocinada [...] Dejar que hierva y cocinar a fuego lento sin tapar hasta que se reduzca la salsa.

texto meta:
    In a large skillet cook the meat until well done. Set aside. In the same skillet stir-fry the onion and the peppers until tender. Add the cooked meat. [...] Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered untill all liquid is reduced.
    : if I wrote anything wrong, please let me know!

2. Cracker Jack Senior Member

En lugar de acabolla, debería ser cebolla. Espero que te sirva.

3. scotu Senior Member

Paradise: LaX.Nay.Mex.
    Chicago English
    In a large skillet brown the meat in a little oil. Set aside. In the same skillet stir-fry the onion and the peppers until the onions are transparent. Add the cooked meat. [...] Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered untill all liquid is reduced. the sauce thickens: if I wrote anything wrong, please let me know!

Note: suggest you discard the oil after you fry the meat, and start with a little more fresh oil for the onions and peppers,

4. Dlyons

Dlyons Senior Member

Dublin
    English - Ireland
    a boil -> the boil

untill -> until

Hard to think of grammar with all that fragrance :)

5. scotu Senior Member

Paradise: LaX.Nay.Mex.
    Chicago English
    We gringos say "a boil" maybe this is another AE/BE thing?

saloudos

PS where's the garlic?

6. borgonyon

borgonyon Modus Vivendi

Shreveport, Louisiana
    Mexican Spanish
    Yeah, no garlic… and what is going to thicken or reduce? Is there something missing?

7. srta chicken Senior Member

California
    US English
    For what it's worth--many recipes, when instructing the cook to reduce the liquid, tell by how much, and they give an approximate time.

Ex: Reduce the sauce by half, about 20 minutes.

Saludos y buen provecho.

8. Cracker Jack Senior Member

To reduce the sauce conveys the idea that liquid has to be taken out physically or by mechanical means. However, in the jargon of cooking, ''until the sauce thickens,'' means that the heat will cause the evaporation of liquid thus leaving the sauce thickened.