1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Encouraging physically...

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Feb 2, 2014.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    How do you encourage someone ? Patting on the shoulder? Pushing (on) one's back? Strengthening one's hart?

Dutch:
    - schouderklopje (little shoulder pat)
    - duwtje (little push) in de rug (in/ on the back)
    - een hart onder de riem (a heart under the oar, but there is disagreement on the origin of the expression)

2. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek:

To encourage: «Ενθαρρύνω» [enθa'rino] < Modern construction (1840) in order to render the Fr. encourager < compound; prefix, preposition & adverb «ἐν» ĕn --> in, within (PIE *h₁en-, in cf Lat. in > It. in, Fr./Sp. en, Por. em, Rom. în; Proto-Germanic *in > Ger. in, Eng. in, Dt. in, Isl. í, D./Nor./Swe. i) + Classical neut. noun «θάρσος» tʰắrsŏs (in Attic «θάρρος» tʰắrrhŏs which produced the MG «θάρρος» ['θaros]) --> confidence, courage, audacity (PIE *dʰers-, to dare cf Skt. धृष्णोति (dhṛṣṇoti), be audacious; Lat. īnfestāre, to attack, destroy, trouble > It. infestare, Sp. infestar, Eng. infest; Proto-Slavic *dьrzati, to dare > OCS дрьзати > Bul. дързая, BCS дрзати/držati; Rus. дерзать, Ukr. дерзати, Cz. držet, Slk. držať, Slo. držite).

We physically encourage someone by:
    1- patting him/her fondly on the back = «χτυπώ στοργικά στην πλάτη» [xti'po storʝi'ka stimbl'ati], or,
    2- giving him/her a push = «σπρώχνω» [spr'oxno] --> to push.

3. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    In England people punch you on the shoulder.

In Egypt you would pat on the back I think.

4. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    What is the word for that in Arabic?

5. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    In Israel we give a little push if verbal encourage doesnt help, like a little force on the back to make the person move.

6. bazq Senior Member

Hebrew
    There's a Hebrew idiom: "לחזק/לאמץ את ידיו" (lekhazek/le'amets et yadav) = literally "to strengthen his hands" = to encourage him.

7. ahmedcowon Senior Member

In Arabic: ربت على كتفه /rabata 3ala katifihi/ (to pat on his shoulder)

Also as in Hebrew, we use شد على يديه /shadda 3ala yadayhi/ (to strengthen on his hands)

Yes, "pat on the back" (TabTab 3ala Dahro) is used but the common is to use the word "shoulder" (TabTab 3ala kitfo)

8. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    That is totally irrelevant - that is to support someone in his doings, usually said when one is doing a difficult task or is put on trial.

9. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

Finnish
    I never thought that patting on the back or shoulder could mean "You can do it!" For me it was always "Well done!"

In Finnish, selkääntaputtelija ("back-patter") is a pejorative term, a (usually uncommitted) sycophant. A selkääntaputtelija praises your accomplishments afterwards (=patting your back), but he won't support you when you really need support. But as long as you are popular, he will praise you even when you deserve critique.

10. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Nice, we don't have that association - but of course if someone did it too often,... ?

So far no (real) surprises yet, except strengthening hands. Cannot imagine how you do that? Or is there no link with the physical reality?

11. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    It is a metaphor/expression, which again, is irrelevant here.

12. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Well, mostly even expressions and metaphors have some physical basis. I am realizing that the longer the more...

13. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Hebrew is a sarcastic/ironic language the way i see it:
    מגדלים פורחים באוויר
    migdalim porkhim ba'avir
    towers grow (like plants, the word is actually from the same root of flower, meaning here flowering) in the air
    meaning arranging/saying things based on imagination - meaning that the person is talking nonsense either knowing or not.

Anyway, to strengthen hands - in the bible we can see that theres
    חזק ואמץ
    khezaq ve'ematz
    empower (get stronger) and emcourage (be more courageous)

when saying strengthen hands, it can be thought of as his arms (=the metaphor) would be stronger to handle the weight upon.

14. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hungarian -- vállveregetés [váll shoulder veregetés patting]

15. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    But then there seem to be no other ways to encourage someone in some physical way than by patting on the shoulder? (I must admit: the last one of my suggestions is more like comforting but there is a thin line between...)

Not to give someone a nudge? Not to blow in his/ her back (trying to be original)?

16. 810senior Senior Member

Japanese
    We Japanese would push one's back or pat on one's shoulder, as in 背中を押す senaka o osu, 肩をポンと叩く kata o pon to tataku.