1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

encumbrances and liens

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by frenchaudrey, Jun 30, 2006.

1. frenchaudrey Senior Member

Lyon
    French, France
    Hi

I'm translating a contract and I wonder how to translate this "free and clear of any and all encumbrances and liens".
    Here is the context : "the shares will be validly issued, fully paid, and free and clear of any and all encumbrances and liens".
    My turn is : "actions quittes et libres de toute charge et droit de rétention".

Thanks in advance for your help :)

2. texasweed

texasweed Senior Member

La La Land
    French-born/US English
    Good morning Audrey. Still having fun, huh? :p
    Courtesy of Canadian Department of Justice, AS USUAL, :)
    There are a few proposals (and probably more I haven't read.) If none suits you, definitely visit the Website. (And its sub-links.) Shorten you search to "free and clear of" as most returns are amazingly followed by "liens, encumbrances."

free and clear of all claims, liens, charges and encumbrances
    :arrow: acquiert ou conserve, libre de toute réclamation, privilège, charge ou servitude (I'm stunned by the use of servitude!)

free and clear of all claims, liens, prior claims or rights of retention
    :arrow: libre de toute priorité ou droit de rétention

free and clear of all liens and encumbrances, for such consideration as the Governor in Council may determine, having regard to the amount that the Corporation paid to acquire it as well as other relevant factors.
    :arrow: libre de toutes charges et autres restrictions, pour la contrepartie qu’il détermine, compte tenu notamment du prix qu’elle a dû verser pour les acquérir.

Does that help?

3. frenchaudrey Senior Member

Lyon
    French, France
    Hi

Thanks for your help :)

I think I tend tend to write too many words in that dictionary so that I can't find proper answers ;)

I found "servitudes" too but I don't think that it suits to the context too

Thanks once again :) Must go back to my lovely text ;)