endeavour efforts?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by plusloinplushaut, Aug 21, 2007.

1. plusloinplushaut

plusloinplushaut Senior Member

Hanoi
    vietnam- vietnamese
    Hello, may someone tell me if there is uneccessary repetition in this sentence:
    "All depend on best endeavour efforts with no "supra-national" oversight authority"?
    As I have learnt, endeavour is not an adj but (n)= effort; (v)= attempt by employing effort, so do we have 2 nouns of the same meaning here?

2. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    "Endeavor" (as we spell it in the US) can be a noun or a verb; it cannot, as far as I know, be used as an adjective. It can have a meaning similar to that of "effort." So, you certainly have an error here. Is it possible that a word or two has been omitted? The sentence, "All depend on the best endeavour or efforts, with no 'supra-national' oversight authority" would make sense.

3. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    The only way this might not be considered superfluous and confusing is if you wrote it as follows: "All depend on best-endeavor efforts..." It's not pretty, and it will sound weird to many native speakers. The assumption is that "best-endeavor" is a specialized or commonly utilized phrase.
    Do you think this might be the case?

4. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Best endeavours has a specific usage in contracts - it means we'll do our best but can't be held to account. If our building burns down we will accept no liability for loss of business but will work with the tenants to find alternative accommodation on a best endeavours basis.

"All depend on best endeavour efforts with no "supra-national" oversight authority"?
    In this context, it means that all will do their best to meet some kind of obligations that they have probably agreed to. But none are committed, there is no mechanism to monitor progress, and there are no penalties if there is no progress at all. Sounds the norm for international agreements on trivial things such as third world debt, global warning, etc, etc.

5. plusloinplushaut

plusloinplushaut Senior Member

Hanoi
    vietnam- vietnamese
    Thank you all. I come across the phrase so many times on the internet. Your explanations do help.