1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Ending in formal letters.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by majlo, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Apparently, the most common ending in formal letters is I am looking forward to hearing from you soon. Would you think of any more endings that would be suitable for a formal letter?
    Thanks in advance. :)

2. blancalaw

blancalaw Senior Member

Detroit, Michigan
    USA, English
    Hi Majlo, each of these you can put depending on the relationship you have with the person you are sending the letter. (or the purpose for each letter)

I am looking forward to your response.
    Please contact me at your earliest convenience.
    It has been a pleasure conducting business with you.
    Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

That is just a few thinking of the top of my head.

3. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Surely the appropriate ending for any formal letter depends entirely on what the letter is about and what message you want to end with? Maybe that is another of my personal eccentricities:)

4. I know it all depends on what the letter is about and whom it is written to. My point is to collect as many endings as possible, and I will be grateful to those who put in their pennyworth. :)

5. davidl243

davidl243 Senior Member

London, England
    English, Scotland
    Hi, in a formal letter i would say it is more common to use the present simple rather than the present continuous ie "i look forward to hearing from you". Obviously like others have said it depends on the reason for the letter - if you don't expect the recipient to reply then this ending is of no use.

6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Responding to your call for endings, I took a random sample of formal letters. Here are the endings.
    As you can see, these do not follow any particular pattern other than being directly relevant to the letter they conclude.

Reflecting on this, it strikes me that my response is born from an initiative some time ago to avoid insincere and meaningless formal phrases in official communications.

7. Roi Marphille

Roi Marphille Senior Member

Moronland
    Catalonia, Catalan.
    I like this one too:
    "Shall look forward to your reply"

8. TJ Taylor Junior Member

Milano
    UK, English
    would be more formal, though I am often guilty of feeling free...!
    I wouldn't actually write 'shall look forward to your reply' except + 'I'

Otherwise:
    'I trust you .....' though a little over the top, and
    'I sincerely hope you ........'

9. whatonearth Senior Member

UK, English
    As said above, it generally depends on who the letter is to/whether its formal or informal...and so on.

But (very) generally speaking "I look forward to hearing from you soon" followed by "Yours sincerely/faithfully" is a fairly bog-standard way to end a letter.