1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Enfermeros licenciados por el gobierno

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by dcseptember, Oct 2, 2013.

1. dcseptember Senior Member

United States, English
    Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to indicate "a nurse licensed to practice in the jurisdiction".

Does enfermero licenciado indicate this, or does this mean that the person has received a degree in nursing? I'm trying to get at the credential to practice, usually regulated by the government, rather than the academic and training program that the person got, e.g. enfermeros diplomados.

This is a Spanish translation of an English document for use in the United States.

Muchas gracias de antemano.

2. Bill Osler

Bill Osler Senior Member

North Carolina, USA
    English, USA
    Does this mean that you are talking about a "Registered Nurse"? I think that would be "enfermera titulada"
    Or perhaps a "Licensed Practical Nurse"? My dictionary lists "enfermero práctico con licencia" but I wonder whether this is one of those things like mid-level practitioners that do not always translate well.
    I'm not sure I understand all the technicalities in the US but my understanding is that "RN" is not a degree (there are or at least used to be several paths to RN eligibility) but rather a registration/licensure status so it sounds like that is what you are describing.

3. EvanWilliams

EvanWilliams Senior Member

North Texas- US of A
    English-USA-Southern
    All true. Registered Nurse is what our license says though we have varied educational backgrounds. A Licensced Practical Nurse also has a license as such.

So, all nurses who practice have a license from a state or territory. So, I can't see your attempt or Mr. Osler's being incorrect.
    You can't hold yourself out as nurse without a license. That license gives you your title as nurse.

4. sergio11 Senior Member

Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    The key to your translation is "in the jurisdiction." Licenses are given locally: each state gives his own licenses. A nurse licensed in California cannot practice in Michigan or Texas, and vice versa. What this is saying is that the nurse should be licensed to practice in that state.

I would translate it literally, exactly the same way: "una enfermera o enfermero licenciado para practicar en esa jurisdicción."