English: Relation between Newfoundland and Tyneside accents

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by whaddayat, Nov 10, 2012.

1. whaddayat New Member

Does anyone else think the dialect of Newfoundland kind of sounds like Geordie (Newcastle, England)? They both have an Irish/Scottish inflected, blue collar kind of sound to them. Broad speaking Newfoundlanders almost sound like they could be Cheryl Cole's cousins or something. The main difference would be that Newfoundland English sounds more rhotic while Geordie is non-rhotic, but other than that they both seem like more informal and old fashioned styles of English.

Are there connections between Newfoundland and the Tyneside or are the similarities mostly coincidental or are they not even there at all and I'm just crazy?
  2. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    My father grew up in Gateshead, across the Tyne from Newcastle. Though he left England at the age of 18, he spoke Tyneside until the day he died at 85. (Whenever someone recognized his speech as Tyneside, his standard answer would be "Aye, but which side?") Having lived in the northeast U.S. for nearly 50 years, I've spent a lot of time in Eastern Canada and have heard many different Newfoundlanders speak. I don't see a similarity.

There have been so many influences on Newfoundland speech patterns over the years - southwestern England, southern Ireland, French and more - that it would be hard to pin it down to any one place, but I don't see Geordie as a big part of it.
  3. whaddayat New Member

Interesting. Are the phrases 'ay b'y' and 'why aye man' related? I would think they mean the same thing, 'yes man/boy' and a statement of agreement but are there 'cognates' so to speak in all UK/Irish English dialects?

Maybe I noticed a Geordie connection because Geordie is somewhat influenced by Scottish and Irish, rather than vice versa.
  4. Hulalessar Senior Member

English - England
    I do not think it is the case that Geordie is influenced by Scots/Scottish English, but rather that there is a continuum of varieties that straddles the Scottish/English border.
  5. jmx

jmx Senior Member

Spain / incorrect Spanish
    I have no idea about how Tyneside or Newfoundland English sound, but I know that similar cases have been found. For example, I have read that Barbados English has many features of SW England English. The current theory seems to be that new dialects often owe a lot to the original settlers' dialect, but they can include features from different origins, so a particular "new world" dialect typically resembles a lot some particular "old world" dialect in some aspects, and is completely different in some other aspects.
  6. Kevin Beach

Kevin Beach Senior Member

There are clearly connections between several north American accents and British/Irish regional accents.

Some Eastern Canadian accents are virtually identical to the standard southern Irish accent.

Some American "twangs" are very similar to the Northern Irish nasal sound.

Traditional New England accents can sound almost standard southern British.
  7. Pedro y La Torre

Pedro y La Torre Senior Member

Paris, France
    English (Ireland)
    I've met Newfoundlanders who could pass for people from the south of Ireland without any difficulty. The Geordie accent is different and, as far as I'm aware, there was little or no settlement of Geordies in Newfoundland.

Geordies do however use many words that are common in Ireland but not common in southern England such as "craic", "mam", etc.
  8. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Hello whaddayat,
    Welcome to the forums. :)

In answer to your original question, I tend to agree with the other members ; ie. no real tangible link between Newfoundland & Geordie dialects that I can see (hear). That's not to say that there may not be similarities between the two. Perhaps this British Library on-line resource may be of interest to you ; Sounds Familiar? ( Accents and Dialects of the UK)

A not-so-different notion (of the influence of Gaelic on the evolution of English speech & perhaps vice versa...) has popped up in debate already on the "Other Languages" part of the forum : maybe it's time I started a new thread to get to the bottom of that.
  9. jmx

jmx Senior Member

Spain / incorrect Spanish
    Peter Trudgill says:
    He also says, talking about the word 'youse':
    So it seems that the link between Newfoundland and Tyneside passes through Ireland.
  10. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Hi jmx,
    Interesting enough ; though perhaps that should read "...the link between Newfoundland and Ireland passes through Tyneside." since many transatlantic emmigrants went first to the UK looking to pay their passage to the New World.