English word "as" in Latin

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Yatalu, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Yatalu

Yatalu Member

Dutch (Flanders)
    It's been a while since I've studied Latin, and this is not an easy one to google... I was wondering how to translate "as" in Latin. The sentence I'm trying to make is
    "Join as a Latin-language Brigadier." posted at the top here: http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Template:WLB

The project is called the "Wikia Language Brigade", where we use the word "Legio" for "Brigade". I got as much that I can use "iungite" as "join" and "Legionarius Linguae Latinae" as "Latin-language Brigadier", however the tiny word "as" is being troublesome. What grammatical case should it be? Do we have any prepositions for this?

Thanks in advance!
  2. XiaoRoel

XiaoRoel Senior Member

Vigo (Galiza)
    galego, español
    Sicut = as.
  3. jakowo Senior Member

(sic-)ut legionarius
    modo legionarii
  4. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Better (for a "Brigadier") ut legatus legionis

5. Yatalu

Yatalu Member

Dutch (Flanders)
    My fellow translator there has already translated it to "ut", I'll just add a sic- to be sure then :)

To Scholiast: in this sense it's not the leading position of a brigade though, but the member position. The project there is to do translations for each other. While a legate sounds quite leader-y to me (correct me if I'm wrong).
  6. wandle

wandle Senior Member

English - British
    There are various problems here, I am afraid. First, as to terminology:
    Ut can mean 'in the capacity of', 'in the role of', which could be suitable here.
    Sicut on the other hand in this context will mean 'in the manner of', 'in the same way as', so that is not suitable.
    The word 'Brigadier' means 'Brigade Commander', so legatus legionis (legionary commander) is indeed suitable for that.
    The ordinary member of a brigade is a soldier (miles).
    The ordinary member of a legion is indeed legionarius: but that does not correspond to a Brigadier.
    I think you need to choose: do you want to say commander (Brigadier), or ordinary member (soldier, trooper, private)?

Secondly, as to the general sense:

iungite is the plural of the imperative of iungo: it can only work if addressed to more than one person at the same time; but members will only be joining individually, I presume.
    Besides, iungo does not mean 'join' in the sense of 'become a member'.
    In any case, the imperative mood seems too strong here. I expect you want to give people the opportunity to join, not order them to do so. For an invitation, the subjunctive mood is suitable.

A standard term for enlisting soldiers is scribo, which here would need to be passive.
    Thus you could say: scribaris legionarius (let yourself be enrolled as a legionary).

In this case, there is no need for ut or any other word for 'as'.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  7. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    I agree with Wandle and Scholiast. In “do (verb) as (noun)” you translate “as (noun)” simply with a noun in the nominative, agreeing with the implied subject of (verb).