Enjoy your meal

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Chulin, May 4, 2006.

1. Chulin New Member

Spanish from Puerto Rico
    How do you say Enoy your meal in Italian.
  2. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italian Italy
    Buon appetito!

By the way...Welcome to WR Chulin!
  3. Frenko

Frenko Senior Member

Italy, Italian
    I think what you're looking for is "buon appetito"

Scusa l'incrocio fran :p

WELCOME to WRF Chulin :)
  4. Chulin New Member

Spanish from Puerto Rico
    Thank you, Thank you....
  5. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italian Italy
    Figurati! ;)
  6. paolar

paolar Senior Member

"Enjoy your meal!"

I was told this kind of wish can only be said by waiters: the people sitting at the table usually don't say that. Is it true?

Thanks for answering!!:)
  7. Hockey13

Hockey13 Senior Member

Irvine, California
    Si direbbe anche questa frase se si fosse il chef...per esempio: fai visita a casa mia e ti ho cotto qualcosa. Ti direi "enjoy your meal!"
  8. Blue_Dragon New Member

I'm new to this forum, and this is obviously a really old post I'm resurrecting. When I found it, "Buon appetito" is what I was looking for, but the above quote has me a bit confused. Being an extreme novice to the Italian language, I had to translate the above quote from a site online. Once I did, it confused me by the point of view that switched, and at this point I have to guess it is accidental. But that is now my question. It seemed to translate to:

It seems even this sentence if the chef ... for example: you visit to my house and i cooked something. You would say "enjoy your meal!"

So I would think, one would want to say "I would say `enjoy your meal!`" Or Vorrei dire "enjoy your meal!". Or is this an example of the extremely familiar, like "tu" form in Spanish? .. But that doesn't quite make sense, because the "Tu" and "Usted" forms are still referring to You my friend and You respectively. .. maybe I just answered my own question, that Ti direi is the I form of the verb, and it was an oversight. .. I guess the other option is that the online translation I found may not be accurate and not interpreting the tu form correctly. So which verb tense is it?

- BD
  9. london calling Senior Member

Welcome, Blue.:)

The sentence you quote wasn't written either by a native or someone who speaks Italian fluently (just for your information;). However, what hockey was trying to say was this:

One would say this if one were the chef. For example, you visit me and I've cooked something. I'd say (to you) "Enjoy your meal".

Ti direi
    (I'd say to you) is written correctly in Italian and yes, it's the confidential form. If you search the forum there are already threads which talk about that, so I won't go into it here again.;)