Enough to wipe my feet

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by rupertbrooke, Sep 24, 2013.

1. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    In a sentence from a doormat advert I have recently come across, the product is commended as being thin & not cumbersome as coir (hindistan cevizi lifi) doormats are. The slogan/logo of the advert is :- ENOUGH TO WIPE YOUR FEET WHEN YOU GO IN. How would this go into Turkish, keeping the brevity of the English?

2. ketcapov Junior Member

Turkish
    It can be : İçeriği girdiğinizde ayaklarınızı temizlemeye yeterli. But I am not sure.

3. Guner

Guner Senior Member

Australia
    Turkish
    If you have to keep the brevity:

İçeri girerken ayağınızı/ayaklarınızı silmeye yeterli.
    İçeri girerken ayağınızı/ayaklarınızı silmek için yeterli.

4. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    Thanks very much, ketcapov & Guner. Both translations suit me fine. I wasn't sure if yeterli took the infinitive with için or the gerund but both translations use the gerund in -me & Guner's second example also uses için so it seems that both can be used interchangeably. If you said 'strong enough to wipe your feet', I presume you'd use silmeye /silmek için sağlam kadar not yeterli.

5. Guner

Guner Senior Member

Australia
    Turkish
    Well first of all, "kadar" in your last translation is not necessary and cannot be used to translate enough in this case.
    Also, I assumed "enough to wipe your feet" did mean "strong or good enough to wipe your feet".
    Logically I cannot see much of a difference between strong enough/good enough/just enough.

If you would like to say it is "more than enough" though then you'd say:
    "İçeri girerken ayağınızı/ayaklarınızı silmeye yeter de artar (bile)." (bile) is optional.
    And if I was making this a slogan rather than a pedantic translation effort, I'd say"
    "Ayağınızı silmeye yeter !"
    Hope this helps...