Discussion in 'English Only' started by Thomas1, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    I know there are local differences in meaning of this word, could you please write what it means in your area/country?

Thanks in advance,

BTW: this is going to serve as a source for the thread False fiends on the French language forum, so comments from any speaker of English variant will be useful :)
  2. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    Typically, where I am from (middle states US), entrée is used on restaurant menus to mean main course (plât principal).

To a lesser degree, it can also mean "entrance." For example:
    "Their wealth and stature granted them entrée to the VIP section."
  3. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Australia English
    an entrée in Australian restaurant is a course served after the soup and before the main course.

Some places offer soup as one of the entrées - and some establishments call that selection "appetisers".

I once worked in a hotel which offered (as separate courses), soup, fish, entrée, main course, dessert. Occasionally they also offered a savoury after dessert.

Many places in Australia will offer the same dish as an entrée (meaning smaller-sized) or main course (meaning full-sized serving)

If people are not very hungry, or want to leave room for dessert, they may ask for an entrée-sized main course - which would sound quite ridiculous in the US.
  4. masked_marsoe New Member

New Zealand, English
    In New Zealand it's basically the same as Australia, though there isn't usually a soup as a separate course.

Entrée-Main course-Dessert
  5. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Well that sounds a lot more in keeping with the original meaning of the word-- which qualifies the AE use of "main course" for the "false friend" category mentioned earlier.
  6. jimreilly Senior Member

American English
    Here is the US it can also mean entrance in a slightly more metaphorical sense, but exactly parallel to the one GenJen has already pointed out.

His knowledge of literature gave him entrée to a imaginary world that most people didn't even know existed.
  7. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Australia English
    entrée to the VIP section.
    entrée to a imaginary world
    both alive and well in the Antipodes.
  8. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    HERE is a recent discussion on 3-course meals that includes comments on entrées.
  9. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France, French
    Bonjour !

Could someone of you confirm if entree is understood as main course in AE?
    In France, une entrée is a starter; I reckon it is in BE as well. What about American English?
  10. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Yes, in the US, entree usually refers to the main course.
  11. Actually, you could find it in just any dictionary. In AmE it is a main course, in BrE it's an appetizer.
  12. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France, French
    Thank you both! :)
    I needed an absolute confirmation, as I will add it in our Themed Lists on faux-amis.
  13. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    Isn't stange how entrée - qui se servent au commencement du repas or "the act of entering" could come to mean main course? How did this happen? Is entrée used in the same way in the UK?
  14. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    :D What a coincidence, I've just posted there my reply to this doubt (I also asked about the same in the thread with the same title a few days ago).
  15. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    According to Webster, entrée is the main course of a meal in the U.S.
  16. languageGuy Senior Member

Kansas City, MO
    USA and English
    Historically, an entree is the first course after all the appetizer courses, the term signifying the entry into the main eating section of a menu. In a classic 14 course meal, the first 4 courses (oysters, soup, nuts, and fish) were the warm-up. The entree was then served, usually sweetbreads or organ meats ground into a pate, followed by roast, frozen punch, game, and vegetable courses. The last 5 courses were the warm-down. (hot dessert, cold dessert, fruit, cheese, coffee).
  17. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Please check THIS THREAD, which includes a link to an earlier thread on the same subject - now making three:D
  18. buddingtranslator

buddingtranslator Senior Member

English, England
    As a native Englishman, and the only one so far in this thread, perhaps my input would be useful with regards to the issue of "entrée" as a possible "faux ami" or false friend in BE and AE.

In AE, I believe, and according to what everyone else has said, "entrée" is generally considered as a main course dish. However, in the UK we tend to follow the Gallic meaning of the word. An "entrée" is definitely a starter dish for us. It's funny how meanings of words can distort between countries.

19. shenley Member

England living in France
    As a native of UK, I'd definitely confirm the use of "entrée" as indicating the first (or opening) course on the menu. In fact I would see entrée as the posh word for what is normally called the "first course". By the way, the word "starter", for me, again referring to UK usage, designates a drink (corresponding to apéritif in French).