1. Kevyn_Arnold Senior Member

Spanish-Colombia
    Un estudiante recoge un documento en Secretaría de su universidad y el documento tiene un sello que dice ENTREGADO, 25-11-2006
    Como se dice entregado? Delivered? Handed Over?
    No es que le hayan entregado el documento en su casa u oficina
    Mil gracias

2. mateitop

mateitop Senior Member

UK, English
    In this case, "received" / "handed in".

Normally: Delivered.

3. Kevyn_Arnold Senior Member

Spanish-Colombia
    Why received or handed in? By the seal ENTREGADO the Registrar wants to certify that the document was given to the holder. I just want to make sure, delivered and received in this case mean the same?
    Thanks

4. mateitop

mateitop Senior Member

UK, English
    Well, it would be "received" really, since their stamp is acknowledging their receipt of the document. The Spanish word is ambiguous as it can mean both, but the English equivalent in this case (from the Registrar's point of view) is received.

5. Kevyn_Arnold Senior Member

Spanish-Colombia
    Ok, thank you very much

6. aestrada New Member

managua
    nicaragua-español
    necesito saber si una persona escribe en un mismo papel de entrega:
    entregado____ recibido____,
    como puedo traducirlo
    received? ... received?
    please help me... i dont think this is the correct form...
    Anna.

7. voltape Senior Member

Lima, Peru
    Peruvian Spanish/USA English
    The problem with RECEIVED is that a casual reader will not be able to tell who has received. If the university has received the document submitted to it by the student, or if it is the student who has received the document from the university.
    I am in this case now. I fear I am going to write "delivered".

8. voltape Senior Member

Lima, Peru
    Now today I ran again into the same old ENTREGADO problem. I thing I'll write "GIVEN TO PARTY" or RECEIVED BY INTERESTED PARTY

9. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    Quédate con DELIVERED.

10. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

The receiver stamps it, so it is received.

11. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    That's not what I'm understanding here:

12. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

You're right, in that case "delivered," or "issued" or something like that.

13. voltape Senior Member

Lima, Peru
    I got a problem with "deliver". For me, deliver has the meaning of "repartir" - Deliver the goods, deliver the letters, Pizza delivery, etc.
    Pero, por ejemplo, en "el inquilino entregó la casa al dueño y se marchó" I couldn't say "The tennant delivered the house...." Tendría que algo asi como "The tennant gave back the house to...." o tal vez, "handed over".

14. voltape Senior Member

Lima, Peru
    This ENTREGADO is a real problem - Now I'm again at it. I've had an idea - sort of defining the expression. I know it is lengthy but at least it is what my Peruvian "paisanos" mean. (I know it is also used in many Latin American countries). This time I'll write: "Released to and received by the interested party" - Anyway, legalese translates legalese, and it is usually sooooooooooo boring!
    (it'd be still better to write: "Released to and received by the interested party, who acknowledges reception").
    (I rush to annotate my brilliant translation in the Spanish-Italian forum, as this happy English rendition originated from my efforts to put Entregado in Italian).
    Regards

15. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

(I have/I've got a problem with "deliver" ...)
    "Deliver" has a number of meanings you may not be familiar with.

de·liv·er
    v.tr.1. To bring or transport to the proper place or recipient; distribute: deliver groceries; deliver the mail.
    2. To surrender (someone or something) to another; hand over: delivered the criminal to the police.
    3. To secure (something promised or desired), as for a candidate or political party: campaign workers who delivered the ward for the mayor.
    4. To throw or hurl: The pitcher delivered the ball.
    5. To strike (a blow).
    6. To express in words; declare or utter: deliver a lecture.
    7.a. To give birth to: She delivered a baby boy this morning.
    b. To assist (a woman) in giving birth: The doctor delivered her of twins.
    c. To assist or aid in the birth of: The midwife delivered the baby.
    8. To give forth or produce: The oil well delivered only 50 barrels a day.
    9. To set free, as from misery, peril, or evil: deliver a captive from slavery. See Synonyms at save1.

v.intr.1. To produce or achieve what is desired or expected; make good: The senator delivered on her pledge. He is a manager who just can't seem to deliver.
    2. To give birth: She expects to deliver in late August.

Idiom: deliver (oneself) of To pronounce; utter: Before leaving I delivered myself of a few choice comments.

In real estate "entregar" is "give possession" (physically), or "cede" if legal transfer is meant.

To me "released" implies they were holding the document back before and/or that they no longer have it, which wouldn't apply if it was a copy. It seems like just "received by X," with the name of the issuing agency somewhere, would suffice -- if it was received, it also was given -- but translators tend to feel they're not doing their job if they don't translate every word.

Also, "interested party" is legalistic and may not apply in all situations -- "interested" means having a claim that could be recognized in court. Alternatives would depend on what kind of document it was.