entregar / estrenar su virginidad

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by scorpio 009, Apr 16, 2009.

1. scorpio 009 Senior Member

Caracas - Dto Capital
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Hola! Saludos!
    ¿Cómo se diría esta frase en inglés?
    Cuando alguien está entregando /estrenando su virginidad.
    When somebody is giving or initiating your virginity.

Correct me. If I´m wrong.
    Thank you in advance.

2. Sprachliebhaber Senior Member

USA English
    No sé cómo se estrena la virginidad; entregarla, sí. Pero sería "giving her virginity".

3. TurbidTongue Senior Member

US
    US English, Euro Portuguese
    I was thinking "give up", actually. Google seems to back me up in that "She gave up her virginity" is much a much more popular construction than "She gave her virginity."
    If you mention the person to whom the virginity was given or given up, you can say it both ways. If you finish the sentence without specifying to whom (or what) the virginity was given, then I recommend saying that a person is "giving up her(/his) virginity."

4. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    La construcción más común en esta situación es decir que the person loses his/her virginity. Lo de "give up his/her virginity" sería un poco más formal, en mi opinión.

5. TurbidTongue Senior Member

US
    US English, Euro Portuguese
    Oh yeah! "She/He lost his virginity." and "She/He lost his virginity to (whomever)" sound much more current. The flaming chicken is totally correct.

6. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    "Losing your virginity" is a very common, current, and neutral term. In some contexts (romance novels, for instance) the protagonist might instead "surrender her virginity."

7. Samdie Senior Member

New York, USA
    American-English
    The advantage of "giving up/surrendering/ceding he virginity" is that it suggests a greater degree of willingness/cooperation. However, with even a little bit of context that interpretation could be completely reversed. The odd adverb, or two, could tilt the balance either way.

8. scorpio 009 Senior Member

Caracas - Dto Capital
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    See you later!