1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

enumeration in arabic

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by brian.steiner, Sep 24, 2009.

1. brian.steiner New Member

German
    I'm layouting a text describing some exercises in English and Arabic. But I am really not sure whether the way I do enumerations in Arabic are right.

So bellow I have links to an English and an Arabic excerpt of the text, is my enumeration in the Arabic part ok?

Thanks for any reply!

img18.imageshack.us/img18/5674/exerciseenglish.jpg
    img18.imageshack.us/img18/2208/exercisearabic.jpg

2. azeid Senior Member

Egypt مصر
    العربية
    The order of numbers classes in English is the same in Arabic,The left is the higher class so 36 = ۳٦ , 37= ۳٧ , 38= ۳۸ ,39= ۳۹
    I hope this helps. :)

3. brian.steiner New Member

German
    so I got it the wrong way round? I find it quite confusing with the left-right... ;-)

so in a text red from the left to the right, there are first the units, then the tens and then the hundreds and so on?

4. azeid Senior Member

Egypt مصر
    العربية
    From the right to the left: Units,tens,hundreds,thousands,....
    e.g
    3867 =

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  5. brian.steiner New Member

German
    Ok, thanks. Now I got it, was even confusing left and right (in my thinking+ in my question) which doesn't help to solve this!

Thanks azeid

6. brian.steiner New Member

German
    ok, here's the corrected version, hope it's right:

img14.imageshack.us/img14/5434/englishkorrigiert.jpg
    img4.imageshack.us/img4/9554/arabickorrected.jpg

7. azeid Senior Member

Egypt مصر
    العربية
    Nice :thumbsup:

8. psxws

psxws Senior Member

Spanish-Venezuela, English-United States
    Just to clarify I believe I read that at some point Arabic used to read numbers from least to greatest; i.e. one and ten and a hundred and a thousand. This is why the number is written left to right today. This pronunciation was later reversed except for the last two digits, in which it was preserved. Thus for example you read 1,125 today as: a thousand and one hundred and five and twenty (الف و مئة و خمسة و عشرين)