1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ephemera

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Mik_IT&UK, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Mik_IT&UK Junior Member

UK
    Italian
    Hello!

Finding this word for the second time in the last few weeks and was just wondering whether there is any specific italian corrispondent.

Context is an essay about Surrealism and the sentence is the following:
    "Along with the ephemera displayed on the walls of the rue Surrealiste, there were blue enamel Street signs above each mannequin".
    "Insieme ai vari esemplari di carta stampata esposti sulle pareti della rue Surrealiste [la galleria dell'Esposizione Surrealista del 1938 a Parigi], c'erano cartelli stradali smaltati di blu sopra sopra a ogni manichino".

And here is what I found in wiki about the word itself:
    "Ephemera are transitory written and printed matter not intended to be retained or preserved. The word derives from the Greek, meaning things lasting no more than a day. Some collectible ephemera are advertising trade cards, airsickness bags, bookmarks, catalogues, greeting cards, letters, pamphlets, postcards, posters, prospectuses, stock certificates, tickets and zines. Decks of personality identification playing cards from the war in Iraq are a recent example.

Thanks a lot,

Mik

2. Mik_IT&UK Junior Member

UK
    Italian
    Sorry, I am discovering that by Street signs we mean

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_sign

And the following paragraph in the text actually confirms it so I am correcting my translation:
    "Along with the ephemera displayed on the walls of the rue Surrealiste, there were blue enamel Street signs above each mannequin".
    "Insieme ai vari esemplari di carta stampata esposti sulle pareti della rue Surrealiste [la galleria dell'Esposizione Surrealista del 1938 a Parigi], c'erano segnali di nome strada smaltati di blu sopra sopra a ogni manichino".

Still, the question is the same...

M

3. Anja.Ann

Anja.Ann Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Ciao, Mik :)

Si chiamano "ephemera" tipografici anche in italiano (ma anche in spagnolo, non so in francese!).

Forse questo può esserti utile: clic e se cerchi in internet Giovan Pietro Vieusseux (direttore del Gabinetto scientifico letterario di Firenze nel 1819) ... troverai una marea di riferimenti :)

4. Mik_IT&UK Junior Member

UK
    Italian
    Anja, mille grazie! :)
    Chissà perché non c'è stato verso di arrivare da sola a questi preziosi riferimenti. Senza la tua indicazione avrei vagato per ore...
    Ti sono debitrice,
    Mik

5. Anja.Ann

Anja.Ann Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Proprio di nulla, Mik! :)