equivocarse de / se tromper de / etc.

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Gavril, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Hello,

Spanish equivocarse "to be mistaken" can be used in contexts such as

Me equivoqué de puerta "I got the wrong door", i.e. "I came to the wrong address"

Analogously, French se tromper "to make a mistake, be wrong" can appear in contexts like

Je me suis trompé de numéro "I got the wrong number" (when you've dialed the wrong telephone number, etc.)

What expression in your language corresponds to Spanish equivocarse de (algo), French se tromper de (quelque chose), and so on?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  2. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    The Hebrew word for it is טעה /ta'a/. So "I got to the wrong address" would be טעיתי בכתובת /ta'iti baktovet/

3. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    In Russian the structure is similar to French and Spanish:
    ошибиться дверью /oshibitsya dveriu/- lit., to mistake oneself (reflexive verb) with door (noun in instrumental case)

4. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Although in regard to wrong number its often הגעתי higati.

5. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Portuguese: enganar-se em. E.g. enganei-me na porta = I got the wrong door; enganei-me no número = I got the wrong number.

"Sorry, wrong number" (on the phone) is desculpe, é engano.

6. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek:

«Έκανα λάθος» ['ekana 'laθos] --> lit. I made mistake.

«Έκανα» ['ekana]: 1st p. sing. imp. & aorist of the v. «κάνω» ['kano] --> to do/make, fare, act, produce, execute < Classical v. «κάμνω» kámnō (imp. «ἔκαμνον» ékāmnŏn, aorist II «ἔκαμoν» ékāmŏn) --> to do/make, toil, labour, build, wrought, act, perform, execute (PIE *ḱemh₂-, to exert oneself, get tired cf M.Ir. cuma, grief, trouble).
    «Λάθος» ['laθos] (neut.) --> mistake < Classical neut. noun «λᾶθος» lâtʰŏs alt. form of fem. «λήθη» lḗtʰē --> forgetfulness, oblivion < Classical v. «λανθάνω» lăntʰánō & «λήθω» lḗtʰō --> to escape notice, be unknown, unnoted (PIE *leh₂-, to remain unnoticed, hidden cf Skt. लयते (layate), to go; Lat. latēre, to be concealed, hidden; OCS лаяти (lajati), to ambush, lie in wait for)

7. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: Ik heb me vergist van nummer.

Zich vergissen is based on gissen, which is an equivalent/... of the English 'guess'. So one could say that being mistaken is seen as guessing wrongly (one of the meanings of the prefix ver-)

>I'd be interested to hear more about this /ta'a/ verb. How you can use it in other contexts, maybe...

8. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    ThomasK and Apmoy:

How widely used is "zich vergissen van ..."? E.g., would people use this phrase if they

- came to the wrong address
    - grabbed the wrong keys for their car
    - used the wrong word in a given context
    - etc.?

How would you use this in a larger sentence, such as the examples I gave ThomasK above?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  9. bazq Senior Member

Hebrew
    The root is ט-ע-ה and it is used to refer to "error making". It's related to the root ת-ע-ה which means "be lost/to deviate from the right path" (no difference between ת and ט in modern Hebrew, so the roots produce homophones).
    What contexts are you interested in?
    When used in the causative verb pattern (i.e "hit'a") the meaning is "to cause someone to make a mistake" or "to mislead someone".

Another prominent root related to making a mistake is ש-ג-ה (sh-g-h), but the difference between it and the former root is register.

10. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Hi Gavril,

(a) «Έκανα λάθος τη διεύθυνση» ['ekana 'laθos ti ði'efθinsi] --> lit. "I made mistake the address" (=I made a mistake with the address)
    (b) «Έκανα λάθος τα κλειδιά του αυτοκινήτου» ['ekana 'laθos ta kli'ð͡ʝa tu aftoci'nitu] --> "I made mistake the keys of car" (=I made a mistake with the car keys)
    (c) «Έκανα λάθος τη λέξη» ['ekana 'laθos ti 'leksi] --> "I made mistake the word" (=I made a mistake with the word).

In all of these expressions the central idea is that while my interlocutor gave me the correct address (a), while I know where I usually put my car keys (b), and while I have a good understanding level of the language (c), I messed things up.