1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

error recognition

Discussion in 'English Only' started by layman9, May 5, 2014.

1. layman9 Senior Member

vietnamese
    Until recently, women were forbidden by law from owning property.
    A. Until recently
    B. were
    C. by law
    D. from owning
    Could you tell me which part needs correction and why?
    Actually, I can't find anything which seems odd in this sentence. But the answer is D. I absolutely don't know why.
    To me, everything seems all right. "Forbid somebody from doing something" is grammatically correct; "until recently" is often used with past simple. So it's hard for me to find the error.
    I appreciate all your comments.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  2. Greyfriar

Greyfriar Senior Member

Portsmouth, Hampshire
    British English
    It sounds fine to me. Perhaps if you let us have A, B and C things will become clearer.

3. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    They are probably expecting "forbidden to own". One is "forbidden to do" something, but "prevented from" doing something.

4. layman9 Senior Member

vietnamese
    oh sorry, let me edit the post.

5. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Collins Dictionary says:

6. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 73)
    UK English
    I did not know that the forbid from construction has been criticised by some, but the MW Concise Dictionary of English Usage points out that its use goes back to 1526.
    The authors of this question were clearly using an out-of-date stylebook! :)

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  7. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    I found an interesting distinction between the two constructions in Wordsmyth:

forbid
    Definition 2: to command that (someone) not do something. Her parents forbade her to stay out past midnight.

Definition 2: to prevent (someone) from doing something by commanding against it. Her parents tried to forbid her from marrying the man she loved .

I doubt many people today make that distinction, but it supports the argument that the sentence in post #1 requires "forbidden to own".

8. layman9 Senior Member

vietnamese
    Thank you very much for your help. I've learnt many from your discussion.