es decir sus características hereditarias...

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Planta, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Planta Senior Member

English - UK
    Buenas Tardes!

I would like to know if anybody could help me with the translation of the above, as I am finding it a bit difficult. The text is about HIV and AIDS and my attempt is below. The last part does not read very well, so I would appreciate any help! Does 'their hereditary characteristics' refer to the structural proteins?

Como en los demás retrovirus, la información genética del virus está en forma de ARN, que contiene las «instrucciones» para la síntesis de proteínas estructurales, las cuales al unirse conformarán al nuevo virus (virión); es decir sus características hereditarias, que le son necesarias para replicarse.

As with other retroviruses, the genetic information of the virus is in the form of RNA, which contains “instructions” for the synthesis of structural proteins. When these structural proteins combine, they constitute the new virus; that is to say, their hereditary characteristics, which are necessary for them to replicate.

2. Marxelo

Marxelo Senior Member

Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Castellano Rioplatense
    Características hereditarias es lo que llamó antes información genética. Es la información genética para sintetizar las proteínas estructurales.

3. Planta Senior Member

English - UK
    Hola!

Thanks for your feedback. I would like to know if anybody could let me know if the following makes more sense:
    As with other retroviruses, the genetic information of the virus is in the form of RNA, which contains “instructions” for the synthesis of structural proteins. When these structural proteins (the hereditary characteristics, necessary for the virus to replicate) combine, they constitute the new virus.

Gracias de antemano!

4. Awake Senior Member

Paris
    Spanish of Spain
    I think it's fantastic.

5. Planta Senior Member

English - UK
    HI !

Do you think it should be When these structural proteins (that contain hereditary characteristics required for the virus to replicate) combine, they constitute the new virus.

or does 'hereditary characteristics' refer to the 'instructions'..

As with other retroviruses, the genetic information of the virus is in the form of RNA, which contains “instructions” (the hereditary characteristics required for the virus to replicate) for the synthesis of structural proteins. When these structural proteins combine, they constitute the new virus.

Gracias de antemano!

6. Awake Senior Member

Paris
    Spanish of Spain
    I think the hereditary characteristics required for the virus to replicate are the instructions of RNA. So the second choice would be better.

But I'm not an expert on this field.