1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

es importante constatar que...+subjunctive/indicative?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by *estudianteinglesa*, Nov 26, 2008.

1. *estudianteinglesa* Senior Member

Spain
    English
    hola a todos!
    I realise that 'es importante que' usually (or always?) goes with the subjuncitve, but if I am adding a verb after, e.g. 'es importante constatar que...' do I still need to use subjunctive afterwards?

This is what I am translating:

"es importante constatar que al fin del proceso, incluso después de tres etapas de modificaciones, no hay una versión ‘perfecta’."

Is this correct, or do I need to use 'haya'?

Thanks for any explanations :)

2. zelan Senior Member

Valencia/ Spain
    Spanish/Spain
    I think you should use "haya" , too.

3. boysetsfire Junior Member

Monterrey
    Mexican Spanish
    Hi
    I'm not sure about the rules that apply here, but I think that if you refer to an actual (not potential) result it's correct to say "...no hay una versión..."

It wasn't part of the question but I would make the following changes too:
    - Use 'resaltar' o 'destacar' instead of 'constatar' because I think 'constatar' means 'to validate'
    - Use 'final' instead of 'fin'. I might be wrong but I think they're not always interchangeable but can't exactly tell you why :(

This is how I would put it in spanish:
    Es importante destacar que al final del proceso, incluso después de tres etapas de modificaciones, no hay una versión "perfecta".

You can use 'haya' if you are talking about a possibility, but you should imply that in the rest of the phrase, something like "Al final del proceso, incluso después de tres etapas de modificaciones, es posible que no haya una versión 'perfecta'".

If you refer to a result expected to happen in the future you can say "...no habrá una versión..."

4. *estudianteinglesa* Senior Member

Spain
    English
    ah thanks so much, that really helps, I understand better now! :)