1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. melissambwilkins

melissambwilkins Junior Member

English (U.S.) - United States of America
    Bueno... yo sé que "la polla" es otra manera de decir "pene"...

pues... "es la polla" -- ¿Es decir que algo no vale mucho? ¿O possiblemente que es malo?

Mi busqueda de Internet indica que la frase se usa mucho, pero a veces parece de decir que una cosa es buena y a veces que es mala.

?!?!?! No entiendo nada :(

---

Ok... I know that "la polla" is another way to say "penis" in Spanish

but... "es la polla" -- Is that to say that something isn't worth much or that it's bad?

My Internet search indicated that it is a popular phrase, but sometimes it seemed to be used to indicate that something was good and sometimes that it was bad.

Help? Tonight I feel dense. I just don't feel comfortable pulling this out of context and being sure I know if it's for a good or bad thing. My gut says "bad" but then some instances I read didn't make sense. (sigh)

2. ovejanegra

ovejanegra Senior Member

English, USA
    If I recall correctly, ser la polla, ser la leche, and ser la hostia are all (vulgar) ways of saying that something or someone is really cool, in Spain. It's kind of like "____ is the bomb." (Not my favorite expression, but that's one way of translating it.) I'm certain that I read about this subject on the forum before, so I'm going to look around and if I find the thread(s), I'll come back and post the URLs here.

3. ovejanegra

ovejanegra Senior Member

English, USA
  4. melissambwilkins

melissambwilkins Junior Member

English (U.S.) - United States of America
    A thousand thanks! The second link had what I needed... I just didn't find it when I searched the forums myself.

Melissa ___( C-.

5. 565665 Junior Member

Valencia (España)
    Castellano ( Español )
    I'm spanish... "ser la polla" means "something is the best" so if you say "Yo soy la polla" you are saying that you are the best...

6. RED CHIEF Junior Member

ESPAÑA ESPAÑOL
    Ser la polla = To be amazing

7. euphemism_treadmill

euphemism_treadmill Junior Member

Área de la Bahía
    Inglés norcaliforniano
    It's the shit.

8. logan_1974 Junior Member

Madrid, España
    Español, España
    It´s not necessarily something good. It means "exceptional", often for good, but sometimes for bad.

For example, you could say: "Su mujer en casa cuidando de los niños, y él tomando cervezas, este tío es la polla".

In this example, the meaning is that what he is doing is "exceptional", but it could be both for good or for bad.

If you are one of his friends, and you think of it like something funny, then is something good (this guy is cool, even being a father he manages to come and have some beers with us, his friends).

But if you think of it like something bad, then I would be somthing bad (that guy is a bastard, he should be at home taking care of his children, instead of being here drinking alcohol).

The difference between both meanings is not in what you say, but in how you say it, and the context.