es posible + subjunctive

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by carrwood, Feb 21, 2008.

1. carrwood Junior Member

England
    do you still use the subjunctive if using an infinitive after posible:

e.g. it is possible to conclude that it is correct
    es posible concluir que sea correcto

Thankyou

2. mhp Senior Member

American English
    Generally, you don't.

Es posible que concluyamos que es correcto.
    Es posible concluir que es correcto.

3. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Normally, I would say "Es posible concluir que es correcto..." In this way you are stating a belief that what you are referring to is indeed correct.

4. lazarus1907 Senior Member

Lincoln, England
    Spanish, Spain
    Indicative is more common here, as the subordinate "que es correcto" depends on the verb "concluir", which generally requires indicative in the subordinate. The encapsulating subordinate "concluir que es correcto" depends on "Es posible...", and it doesn't require subjunctive because an infinitive is used instead of a conjugated form. Even though some people still don't believe it, infinitives can form full clauses (and even a sentence!), and they can have their own subordinates, with and without verbs in subjunctive.

The subjunctive is possible, but not advisable, unless we want to explicitly specify that "we" may conclude that it is correct:

Es posible que concluyamos que es correcto.

5. Bocha

Bocha Senior Member

Argentina
    castellano
    Hola:

I could use both but the nuance changes:

Es posible concluir que sea correcto (but in fact I do not think it is definitely correct. As a matter of fact I think there are some misleading circumstances here) Uno se siente tentado a pensar que es correcto.

Es posible concluir que es correcto. (That it is correct is pretty reasonable) Sinceramente, parece correcto.

6. ttaftab

ttaftab New Member

NJ, USA
    English - USA
    the last was a very precise account as to the cognitive process represented by using either form: indicative or subjunctive.

traditionally, the subjunctive would be enforced. however, speakers of spanish DO use the indicative in situations where the subjunctive 'should' be used. the difference is (almost) exactly what the previous post-er has said, and some linguists would agree, particularly the columbia school.

the subjunctive would be used to express the speakers 'doubt' while the use of the indicative would tell the hearer that the speaker is more certain than not about the information after 'que'