Es un placer Saludarte

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by whiteheadjen, Sep 4, 2007.

1. whiteheadjen Junior Member

Argentina - Español
    Hola!
    Soy nueva aqui, asi que prmero que nada gracias por ayudarme, la verdad que la pagina es muy buena.

Les paso
    como podria traducir al ingles esta frase?

"Es un placer Saludarlo" It is a pleasure to greet you?
    que les parece?
    Gracias

2. jabiwii Junior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Chile, Español
    pleasure es una palabra muy fuerte para el contexto. creo que es mas usada la palabra "nice": "nice to meet you" (un placer conocerlo) "nice to see you again" (un placer verlo nuevamente" etc... :)

3. whiteheadjen Junior Member

Argentina - Español
    El tema es que es una carta que empieza con "Querido xxxx, es un placer saludarlo" quiza quedaria bien "Dear xxx, it´s nice to greet you"???
    q pensas?

4. parhuzam Senior Member

Los Angeles,CA
    USA/English/Español
    Hola,

En los EEUU no se empieza una carta de esa manera.

No se usa... it is a pleasure to greet you .... esto viene directo del castellano. Pero si lo quieres usar... It is a pleasure to say hello to you. o It is a pleasure to write to you.

Bienvenida al foro.

Saludos.

5. jabiwii Junior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Chile, Español
    creo que esta correcto de esa forma, al menos así es como yo lo escribiría. :)

6. parhuzam Senior Member

Los Angeles,CA
    USA/English/Español
    Hola,

Lo siento pero no suena bien en inglés y así no se usa. Hay que aprender lo correcto desde un principio.

If you think it is ok to translate literally, then go ahead.

Si crees que está bien traduccir literalmente, bueno como quieras.

Saludos.

7. ljohnson Junior Member

U.S.A. English
    Creo que parhuzam tiene razon; asi no se jusa en ingles.

8. whiteheadjen Junior Member

Argentina - Español
    Gracias a ambos!!!!

9. MISIONERY Senior Member

Bogota-Colombia
    spanish-Colombia
    My question is: If it is not a correct way to greet someone, tell me please the right manner to say greet in English the meaning we want to say in the literaly phrase or what is the correct manner to say hello in a letter.

blessing and thank you.

10. jinti

jinti Senior Member

A simple Hello! How are you? is enough if you're writing to a friend.

11. MISIONERY Senior Member

Bogota-Colombia
    spanish-Colombia
    You are right to me. But my situation is that I translate letters from children to sponsors in USA, CANADA, ENGLAND, etc and the children use our literaly way to say hello. So they say in example: Les envio mis saludos especiales, los saludo cariñosamente, etc.
    so is it correct to translate I send you my best greetings?

12. jinti

jinti Senior Member

Literally, it's correct, but it's very, very formal and nothing a native-speaker child would ever write. (Although, a child might end a letter with all my best or something like that.)

Still, the sponsors might find the "different-ness" charming, since they know they're being addressed by a child from another country. And any of them that know some Spanish and see an obviously nonliteral translation might not like it -- people tend to think literal is best, somehow. So I think if I were you, I'd go with a literal translation even though it sounds "foreign".

Just an opinion....

13. MISIONERY Senior Member

Bogota-Colombia
    spanish-Colombia
    Your opinion is valuable to me. Thank you very much because this enriquece mi vida.
    Have a good day!