escaso sangrado endouterino

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by Damnjoe, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Damnjoe Senior Member

U.S. English
    Mi duda es la traducción de "endouterino". Acá la frase completo, de un paciente con problemas de menopausia:

Al examen físico, se evidencia sangrado activo proveniente del útero, dolor hipogástrico a predominio de la fosa ilíaca derecha, mastalgia e hipersensibilidad de pezones. Refiriendo además, aumento de apetito y actividad sexual en las últimas 3 semanas. La evaluación ecográfica, halló endometrio de 9.5 mm. Con signos de escaso sangrado endouterino y ovarios hipotróficos.

Los traducciones dicen mucho "vacuum", pero me parece que no tiene mucho sentido en este contexto.

2. Bill Osler

Bill Osler Senior Member

North Carolina, USA
    English, USA
    In English I would say either "endouterine" or "endo-uterine". Most of my dictionaries do not list either term, and of the two that do, the bilingual dictionary prefers the hyphenated "endo-uterine" spelling but my monolingual Dorlands (which is usually more reliable than the other regarding English usage) lists "endouterine". Both forms are used in publications but my impression is that as a general rule words with the "endo" prefix are not usually hyphenated, at least in US English.

I don't know why the word "vacuum" would be used in this context.

3. Damnjoe Senior Member

U.S. English
    Becuase it's really common to hear "aspiración endouterina" but in the sense of ¨sangre" I couldn´t find it at all. I guess changing the "o" to an "e" would be the logical answer, but I like to actually see it in a dictionary to make sure. Thanks a lot for the help.

If you don´t mind me asking, are there any good online medical bilingual dictionaries? I´m finding some real specific terms that wordreference and similar sites just dont have.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  4. Bill Osler

Bill Osler Senior Member

North Carolina, USA
    English, USA
    It is always hard to know what is "good". Also, availability depends on whether or not you subscribe to some of them. For example I use the dictionary at http://www.wordmagicsoft.com/dictionary/tools/index.php but full access requires an annual subscription. It's not a lot of money but every penny counts. There are other resources that cost more. For example, Cosnautas has several resources at http://www.cosnautas.com/index.php?pag=home, including the "Diccionario de dudas y dificultades de traducción del inglés médico (3.ª edición)" but after a free trial membership the subscription cost is pretty steep; I have not ponied up the money to subscribe so my contact with it is limited.
    There are several apps for the iPhone (and probably for Android) but I have not tried enough to be able to give a fair opinion. My WordMagic Spanish/English "unabridged" dictionary (iPhone app) is the only bilingual dictionary I have consulted so far that listed "interuterino" but it is by no means complete with respect to medical vocabulary and I will not claim that it is always even right.

5. gringoloko Senior Member

TN, EUA
    Español - Colombia, Inglés EUA
    Hi,
    I would highly recommend buying Navarro's Diccionario Crítico de Dudas de Medicina (libro rojo), or purchasing the Cosnautas subscription which includes access to Navarro's red book for a year for 36 euros. It is the absolute best dictionary for English to Spanish, and I imagine that if you could search the entire text it would be just as helpful for Spanish to English medical translation. The book itself is pretty steep, since it is only published in Spain, and has to be imported to the US. I think the last time I looked it was about 170 USD.

6. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
  7. bicontinental Senior Member

U.S.A.
    English (US), Danish, bilingual

I think it’s safe to say that ‘endouterine’ is very uncommon in the English medical language. Although the Greek prefix’ endo-‘ is used in other contexts (e.g. endotracheal, endoderm), we tend to use the corresponding latin prefix ‘intra-‘ with ‘uterine’, i.e. intrauterine.

endo- [Greek endon within] Within, inside

intra- or intro- [Latin intra, intro- within, inside, during, under] Among, within, inside, during
    Ref: http://www.macroevolution.net/biology-prefixes-e.html#.Ur8H-7Rc9TE

Bic.

8. Bill Osler

Bill Osler Senior Member

North Carolina, USA
    English, USA
    You are correct, but I did not suggest "intrauterine" since as best I can tell that corresponds to "intrauterino" rather than to "endouterino" at least according to my dictionary.

9. mewilson Senior Member

I wonder if the intended meaning was escaso sangrado endometrial (scant endometrial bleeding).

10. bicontinental Senior Member

U.S.A.
    English (US), Danish, bilingual
    Hello Bill,
    What I really should have said above is that I’m not aware of the existence of ‘endouterine’ in the English medical language…let alone a distinction between the adjectives ‘endouterine’ and ‘intrauterine’ in English. The exact semantic… or anatomic… difference between these two in Spanish is still not entirely clear to me, although ‘endouterino’ seems to be used in reference to the uterine cavity itself, la cavidad endouterina. (I would, however, be very appreciative if anyone can explain the exact difference between the two.) As Damnjoe pointed out in post #3, conventional usage seems to favor one or the other, e.g. manual vacuum aspiration is aspiración manual endouterina (AMEU) vs. for instance intrauterine device, dispositivo intrauterino (DIU). My main point is still that I’m unaware of a similar role for the term ‘endouterine’ in the English medical language…I don’t remember ever seeing it in the medical literature and I have not been able to find it in (Am) English medical dictionaries. I would therefore suggest using intrauterine…or maybe better in this case…just uterine bleeding, referring to the source of bleeding.

Bic.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  11. -CAIN- Senior Member

Presumiblemente en Chile
    Chile, Castellano (Spanish)
    Hello

In Spanish, prefix endo (Greek prefix) is the same that intra/o (Latin prefix), so sangrado endouterino is the same that sangrado intrauterino, it means bleeding inside of the uterus.
    Most of these hemorrages are from the endometrium.

I think that the English concept is intrauterin bleeding or intrauterin haemorrage.

Regards