escasos recursos económicos

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by grl8, Aug 31, 2008.

1. grl8 Member

Mexico, Spanish
    Hola a todos! :)

podría ser algo como: scant economic resources? :confused:
  2. zumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    USA: English & Spanish
    Limited economic resources.
    Limited means.

3. turi Senior Member

En un lugar de Catalunya
    Catalán y castellano.

Tambien puedes decir "Scarce economic resources/means".

Saludos, t.
  4. ardillar Member

Washington State
    U.S.A. English
    Hi there several years !

I was surprsied to not see this translation in the forums: "of/on limited incomes" or "limited income (families)"

To me, "resources" is very broad and "incomes" more directly implies a financial situation, although the message does get across with "resources."

"Scarce" I associate as a was to describe supplies or a physical amount of something that is not financial.

Am am curious to hear if people agree or not!
  5. aloofsocialite

aloofsocialite modrageous!

San Francisco / Oakland, CA
    English - USA (California)
    I personally don't see anything wrong with the use of "scarce" in reference to financial matters, although perhaps it wouldn't be the first word to occur to me when speaking about abstract terms like "economic resources".

We can't afford to purchase the new rocket ship this year because economic resources are scarce (tendremos que apañárnoslas con el cacharro ese un año más).

I think "economic resources" pretty clearly refers to "financial situation". "Income" makes me think specifically of the money brought in by one's employment.
  6. ardillar Member

Washington State
    U.S.A. English
    You are right, the use of "scarce" in that sentence sounds very appropriate. And I agree with your distinction between "income" and "economic resources", thank you for the corrections!

I think what struck me was when "scarce" was used as modifier of the adj/noun that followed, to my ear, it changes the emphasis whether it is placed before or after the noun group (economic resources).

After taking your comments into consideration, I think a good mix of the two is: "limited economic resources"

7. CorazonTapatio Senior Member

Guadalajara, Mexico
    For me it would depend on the context in which it is being used. I am used to hearing this in a context in Spanish which I would typically translate to English as "Low income families" but again, it all depends on the context. I'm also guessing that ardillar's translation as "limited income families" may be the new, more politically correct translation. I really don't prefer the use of "scarce economic resources" nor "scant economic resources". However aloofsocialite used "scarce" in a different way like ardillar already pointed out and I would agree that it is appropriate in that context.