1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ese lunar que tienes junto a la boca

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by rockiel, Apr 6, 2006.

1. rockiel New Member

Indiana, USA
    USA English
    En la canción "Cielito lindo" ¿qué quiere decir la frase ... "ese lunar que tienes junto a la boca, no se lo des a nadie, que a mí me toca"?

Le(s) agradezco su atención y sus conocimientos...

2. Miguelillo 87

Miguelillo 87 Senior Member

Mexico City
    México español
    it means " this spot you have next to your mouth, do not give it to anibody, 'cause it belongs to me"

3. Miguelillo 87

Mexico City
    México español
    obviamnet ene inglés no suena ton bonito, pero haz de cuanta que se refiere a que como está cerca de la boca es como un beso por eso dice no se lo des a nadie ess no beses a nadie

4. Alicia Translator

Alicia Translator Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish - Spain
    lunar se dice spot??? pues menuda ambigüedad que se crea ahi...agh....

ahora q lo acabo de buscar, WF da mole y beauty spot...fiu!

5. Miguelillo 87

Mexico City
    México español
    bueno también se dice asi

6. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    a Lunar is a mole (like a little moon, supposedly). (When a mole isn't disgusting and ugly, it's sometimes called a beauty spot.)

No se lo des a nadie is the familiar, negative command of "dar": Don't give it to anyone. (If this is confusing to you, investigate use of direct and indirect object pronouns, and formation of commands.)

que a mí me toca = is literally "who touches me", in a figurative, romantic sense.

At least this is how I learned it many years ago. However, as I write this, something occurs to me. AND I NEED NATIVE SPEAKER INPUT, PLEASE. It occurs to me that this could be a use of the idiomatic expression ¿A quíen le toca? Me toca a mí. (Whose turn is it? It's my turn.) In that case, the meaning would be: Don't give it to anyone, because it's my turn.

Sorry to confsue you, but perhaps a NATIVE SPEAKER can enlighten us.

7. Yuribear

Yuribear Senior Member

California
    Español, Mex-USA
    You did great jbruceismay ..... however,

here it means... "that will be mine" ie. it belongs to me!!!

8. Fernando Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain, Spanish
    Yuribear is right. Derived from your 2nd use of "turn". Figuratively, you spread out something. The part that is yours is "la que me toca". So, the "spot" is his.

It is funny that "lunares" have many times a positive connotation in Spanish, while "mole" or "spot" are (to me) derogative terms.

9. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    Gracias Fernando, Yuribear and Rockiell.

I first learned this song (and its meaning) 40 years ago in High School Spanish, and the alternative, correct, meaning of that line did not even occur to me until just a few minutes ago, literally while typing my response to Rockiell.

There are sayings (and songs) in English about parents learning from their children, and teachers from their students. Not that I'm anyone's parent or teacher here, but you know what I'm getting at.

And to Rockiell, just to expand on what was already said: The expression '¿A quién le toca? typically means "Whose turn is it?" (asked by a teacher, in a classroom, for example) but this would be another application, a variation (at least in terms of how you translate it in English, though it might mean the same thing as always to a native speaker). So if someone cuts the birthday cake into several pieces, you might point to the biggest one, and say "Esa me toca" or more emphatically "Esa me toca a mí." Then, when it's time to wash the dshes, and someone asks whose turn it is, you point to your sister and say Le toca a ella or maybe, Le toca a Ud. or Te toca a ti. Got it?

Gracias a todos. Sigo aprendiendo.