1. Hello Everyone,

So if a French man calls a woman "espèce de sale conne", how exactly should that be translated. I think it means something like "you dirty cunt/bitch" or "you dirty idiot". Also, how grave is it to say that to a female? The context would be a couple in an argument.

Thank you,

Pardon My French

2. anne-kate

anne-kate Senior Member

It is grave, and vulgar. I think no woman should accept that kind of talk from her partner.

a-k

3. Thank you for you quick response. How would that be translated into English?

4. Proto17 Senior Member

French
    "you dirty idiot" is the closest.
    if he wanted to add a sexual reference, he would had say "espèce de sale pute", which is worse.

5. I see. So any French woman would be highly offended by this terminology?

Thanks to you both.

6. padmavyuha Senior Member

Norwich, East Anglia
    English - Southern England
    "You dirty idiot" is not a normal colloquial English expression.
    I don't think 'sale' and 'dirty' have the same connotations in the different languages - in English it means more specifically either "not clean", or grivois(e), whereas I think espèce de sale conne is just a general insult, like "you fucking bitch", which to me is the most likely translation (given that it's something someone would very likely yell during an argument). My understanding is that con(ne), although strong, isn't anywhere near as strong in French as "cunt" is in English. It is much more commonly used, and is more like "bastard/bitch" in its impact.

7. roi2verlan Senior Member

United Statesian English
    I agree with padmavyuha's thoughts on "sale" and "dirty." I would never say - nor have I ever heard - "you dirty idiot." I do think something along the lines of "you fucking bitch" has the right tone for translation here; "you dumb bitch" might fit the register a bit better though.

8. Salvatos Senior Member

Québec, Canada
    French - Québec
    "Fucking" does sound a bit extreme to me here. I think I would rather go with something like "You stupid bitch" or "You dumb bitch", which flows better.

9. Surfin' Bird Senior Member

South West France
    French;France.
    I suppose that there are already several threads about "con/conne" on WR.

If, as mentioned on this page, "con" is far from being as offensive as "cunt" (but still strong enough), what gives it strength (and extra rudeness) here is actually "espèce de sale".

"Petite conne" ou "pauvre conne", for example, wouldn't have the same impact. (Bearing in mind that it also depends on the way it's being said.)

In terms of intensity, I would say that both "you fucking bitch" and "you stupid bitch" can be appropriate translation, depending on 1) how serious the argument is, and 2) the character and background of the people involved in the verbal fight.

10. Roulotte106 New Member

French
    In this case, sale (dirty) does not have a sexual connotation as it is the case in English. You use the adjective sale in front of nouns/ other adjectives to curse; for example, you could say (although I wouldn't recommend it) sale vieillard which, in English, would be "bloody old man". Also, you do not capitalize the word espèce because it is not the start of a sentence, for there is no verb in it.
    I hope this helps.
    Rachid

11. Roulotte106 New Member

French
    In this case, sale (dirty) does not have a sexual connotation as it is the case in English. You use the adjective sale in front of nouns/ other adjectives to curse; for example, you could say (although I wouldn't recommend it) sale vieillard which, in English, would be "bloody old man". Also, you do not capitalize the word espèce because it is not the start of a sentence, for there is no verb in it.
    I hope this helps.
    Rachid

12. Roulotte106 New Member

French
    In this case, sale (dirty) does not have a sexual connotation as it is the case in English. You use the adjective sale in front of nouns/ other adjectives to curse; for example, you could say (although I wouldn't recommend it) sale vieillard which, in English, would be "bloody old man". In other words, "sale conne" would mean "bloody idiot" Also, you do not capitalize the word espèce because it is not the start of a sentence, for there is no verb in it.
    I hope this helps.
    Rachid

13. Astamalana

Astamalana Senior Member

Paris
    Français - French
    "con/conne" can be taken lightly, depends the person you are hearing it from.

like when someone telling you a bad joke (not even funny) => "t'es con/conne" of course it's very familiar but it has the meaning of "you're stupid"

In this case "sale conne" is different and is a lot more offensive. Post above from Rachid explain it quite well in my opinion.