Espèces en voie de disparition/extinction

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Jocaste, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Jocaste

Jocaste Senior Member

Français
    Bonjour !
    Je voudrais dire en anglais : ce sont deux espèces en voie de disparition/extinction.
    J'avais pensé à "They are the two main species disappearing" pour en voie de disparition, mais ça ne me paraît pas terrible et je n'ai pas d'idée pour "en voie d'extinction".
    Merci pour votre aide :)

2. rocamadour

rocamadour Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    Hi Jocaste! :)
    I think it should be endangered species.

3. GEmatt

GEmatt Senior Member

La Côte, Switzerland
    English/BE, Français/CH, Deutsch/CH (rustier & rustier)
    Agreed, for the term. For the sentence, simply These are two endangered species is my suggestion.

4. Xence Senior Member

Algeria (Arabic - French)
    They are two species prone to extinction.

5. Jocaste

Jocaste Senior Member

Français
    Eh bien merci à vous trois :)

6. GEmatt

GEmatt Senior Member

La Côte, Switzerland
    I don't think so. Prone to means to have a tendency to do something. It qualifies a habit, whereas "endangered" is a state (or a process).

7. Jocaste

Jocaste Senior Member

Français
    I got 825 000 results for 'prone to extinction' on Google actually.
    And they were websites about animals and fish. So it may be accurate :)

8. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    On the way to extinction?

9. GEmatt

GEmatt Senior Member

La Côte, Switzerland
    That's a pretty persuasive number:), but in that case, what exactly does it mean? On the verge of, or endangered? Or on the way to, as Kelly B. has just suggested? The IUCN has several categories to describe a species' status: prone to doesn't really tell me much. Sorry for being obtuse:eek:.

10. Tara:) New Member

English- Scotland
    Hey. I think the phrase translates best into English as "facing extinction"... I'm afraid "prone to extinction" doesn't make any sense- it does imply that they have a tendency towards extinction as opposed to the animals being forced into such a state. On the other hand, GEmatt and Kelly's translations make sense. :)

11. pauloteo New Member

french
    In the novel of John le Carré "a most wanted man", "espèce en voie de disparition" translates "dying species". It seems to me the more precise translation.

12. GEmatt

GEmatt Senior Member

La Côte, Switzerland
    But that's for a man, and is intended figuratively. In such cases, "dying species" or perhaps more commonly "dying breed" are used, yes.

13. Hildy1 Senior Member

English - US and Canada
    I had never heard the expression "prone to extinction" before, but looked at a few sites that use it. It seems to mean that there is some weak point, some vulnerability in the species that could cause it to be endangered if its habitat or conditions of life change. It may be flourishing now, but it would be in danger if there were a drastic change in its surroundings.

For species that are actually "en voie de disparition", I agree with rocamadour for "endangered species".