1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Esperanto: You know you are at the pinnacle...

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by Redline2200, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Redline2200

Redline2200 Senior Member

Illinois, United States
    English - United States
    Hello all :) here goes my first WordReference Esperanto-related post!
    The sentence is a bit comical but it seemed an excellent way to attempt a few grammatical constructions that I think I understand but am not certain of:

English sentence:
    You know you are at the pinnacle of procrastination when you are teaching yourself Esperanto instead of working.

My Esperanto attempt:
    Vi scias ke vi estas en la montsupro de la prokrastemo kiam vi instruas vin esperanton anstataŭ labori.

Any corrections are most welcome!!

Multaj dankon :D

2. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    Bonan tagon, Redline!
    My Esperanto is rusty, but I suspect that "vi instruas" can't have two direct objects ("vin esperanton").
    Someone more expert will have to confirm if it's "vi instruas al vi".
    You welcomed corrections, so I will also say that your final expression of thanks needs more internal agreement.
    The words should be both singular or both plural (I don't know which), and probably both should end with "-n".
    So there's half an answer.

3. Lunatyk New Member

Polish
    I'm not an expert in Esperanto since I've only started learning it but I do notice some oddities.

Firstly, you wouldn't use the pronoun vi in this case because you're giving a general statement rather than addressing someone directly.
    If this sounds too technical, think about how the sentence You can't smoke there is used to state a fact rather than tell someone they can't smoke in a certain area.
    Use oni instead.

Secondly, Cenzontle is correct, though vi is still causing a problem. Vi means you rather than yourself, when you want to use a reflexive pronoun, use si.

Putting this all together I'd write the sentence as:

Oni scias ke oni estas en la montsupro de la prokrastemo kiam oni instruas esperanton al si anstataŭ labori.

Though when I did some cross-referencing on lernu.net, teach yourself comes up as lerni; so I'm not sure if you shouldn't just use that.

Cenzontle is also correct in that adjectives and nouns have to agree in Esperanto. However, since I rarely came across an instance of dankoj, I'd be more inclined to say multan dankon, even though I usually just see dankon as being sufficient enough.