1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

esperar + conocer

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Soy Yo, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Soy Yo Senior Member

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    Dear Foreros:

I have doubts about translating this sentence into Spanish:

I hope I know someone at the party. (Meaning: I hope there will be someone I know at the party.)

Espero conocer a alguien en la fiesta. (This sounds to me like "I hope I meet someone.")

or

Espero que conozca a alguien en la fiesta. (This sounds better but it could also mean "I hope you/she/he know(s) someone at the party" or even "meets" someone at the party."

Would I need to be less "word-for-word" and say "Espero que haya alguien en la fiesta que yo conozca"? Or is that also bad?

Seems so simple on the surface.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

2. Gamen Senior Member

Near Buenos Aires
    Spanish Argentina
    If you mean "I hope there will be someone I know at the party", it is correct in Spanish to say as you well suggested: "Espero que haya alguien en la fiesta que yo conozca".
    And, as you said the equivalence in meaning for "espero conocer a alguien en la fiesta" is "I hope I meet someone at the party".

So, the logic of your thought is correct!
    I would translate "I hope I know someone at the party" the way you did, otherwise if you say ""espero conocer a alguien en la fiesta", it will be interpreted at once as if you wanted to know someone for the first time and in a second place and more rarely as though you wanted to find someone you already know.

Regarding this: "Espero que conozca a alguien en la fiesta", as you also said, it can be interpreted in two ways as:
    "I hope I meet someone at the party." or "I hope I know someone at the party" This sentence in Spanish ("Espero que conozca a alguien en la fiesta") would be ambiguous in meaning since in Spanish we don't make the difference you do in English between "to meet someone" (to find someone for the first time) and "to know" (to find someone who already is an acquaintance). Although correct it is not advisable because of its ambiguity.

So, the best translation for "I hope I know someone at the party" is "Espero que haya alguien en la fiesta que (yo) conozca" or "Espero encontrarme a alguien conocido en la fiesta" or else "Espero ver a alguien conocido en la fiesta".

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  3. Soy Yo Senior Member

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    Gracias Gamen, me has ayudado remucho. :)

Soy Yo