1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. andreajolie

andreajolie New Member

Chicago
    Mexico spanish
    hola.. alguien podria decirme como se dice "estatus migratorio" en ingles?? se los agradeceria mucho...

2. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    Hola:

"immigration status"

3. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    Migratory status

:)

4. todasana

todasana Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish - Spain
    Concuerdo con micafe, migratory status

5. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    Hola amiga:

La traducción literal no juega aquí.

migratory, [SIZE=-1]tending to change location periodically, especially to move seasonally from one region to another.

immigration, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]the movement of people from one foreign country to another. A person involved in this is called and “emigrant”[/SIZE]

6. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    Hola Andreajolie:

Por favor, danos más contexto. Estas hablando de aves, personas, ... ????

7. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    I disagree. While the last two suggestions are not incorrect, we tend to say, in the states at least, "immigration status."

8. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    Well, reading the other posts, actually we don't know the context. So we don't know who's right.. :eek:

:p

9. Juan Carlos Garling

Juan Carlos Garling Senior Member

Chile/Argentina
    Spanish Chile/Argentina
    Muy importante tu acotación. Es frecuente observar una confusión en el uso de lestos términos

10. andreajolie

andreajolie New Member

Chicago
    Mexico spanish
    la frase seria "la gente tiene miedo que por su estatus migratorio no reciban ayuda"..

11. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    Yes my friend.

But now we know.

Please Andreajolie, next time, give us the complete information.

12. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    En este caso sería 'immigration status'.

Mis disculpas.

;)

13. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    No V_s, no hay porque disculparse, ambos lo estuvimos por contestar rapido sin el contexto necesario.

Saludos.

14. eram New Member

English
    Let me clarify this for those of you who are not clear on the terms, migration, immigration, and emigration and the proper translations based on what I learned.

Think of Migration as an umbrella over immigration and emigration. When dealing with these two words underneath the umbrella, perspective matters. In other words, if I am in the USA and others are coming into the USA, that is immigration from my perspective. If I am in the USA and others are leaving USA, that is emigration again from my perspective.

In terms of translating these words, you have to pay attention to how general or specific you want to be. For instance, when I traveled to Bolivia, I found that they tend to use the general term "estatus migratorio" whereas in the USA they like to use the more specific term "immigration status." This might have something to do with how hot the topic of immigration is to the USA or because the US is a letigious country and it is highly important to be specific and clear in such societies.