1. courtney07 Junior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Could someone please clarify the difference between este and esto? I am trying to say, "I know this is a lot of information, but I really want this to be a success." Here, "this" just means the project I am working on.

Gracias!

2. Feña

Feña Senior Member

Chile
    Chile - Español
    In Spanish we use both words depending on the noun, whether it is male or female. In this case, the word Project is a male noun, but you are referring to the Information as "this" and Information in Spanish is a female noun. I would go as follows:

- Esta es mucha información. (if you are referring to the information as "this")
    - Este proyecto contiene mucha información. (if you are referring to the project as "this")

Anyway I would say that the first one is more appropriate this time.

Good Luck!

3. martushkaa Junior Member

Spain
    Polish

You use 'esto' when it's not followed by a noun while 'este' (male) and 'esta' (female) require to be used with a noun.

Quiero que este proyecto salga bien.
    Quiero que esto salga bien. (You and your interlocutor both know waht is the subject of the conversation and what thing is to be a succes"

So you can say: Se que esta es mucha información a la vez pero quiero que esto (means: proyecto, trabajo) salga bien.

I hope it clarifies you a little the difference between este/esto.
    And of course, wait for Spanish speakers to confirm it!

4. abailar Junior Member

My impression is that when you introduce someone, you say este for a man: "Este es mi padre, Jon." Is this, then, an exception to the rule? Because you're not saying "Este hombre", you're saying "this" as a noun (This is my dad). But for most other cases, you would use esto for a noun and este for an adjective, right?

5. jmx

jmx Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spain / incorrect Spanish
    You never use "esto/eso/aquello" for people (except maybe if you want to be rude).

6. Lnewqban

Lnewqban Senior Member

South Florida
    Spanish - Cuba
    Check this out:
    http://spanish.about.com/od/pronouns/a/demonstrative_pronouns.htm

........... realmente quiero que ésto (the project you are working on, which you mentioned earlier for me to understand what you are referring to with esto) sea un triunfo.

........... realmente quiero que este projecto (this thing) sea un triunfo.

........... realmente quiero que estos projectos (these things) sean un triunfo.

........... realmente quiero que éstos (the projects you are working on, which you mentioned earlier for me to understand what you are referring to with estos) sean un triunfo.

:cool: Then, we have the female gender:

........... realmente quiero que esta explicación (this thing) lo ayude a entender.

........... realmente quiero que estas explicaciones (these things) lo ayuden a entender.

........... realmente quiero que éstas (these rules that I mentioned to you earlier) lo ayuden a entender mejor la diferencia entre este y esto. :)

7. Cambria

Cambria Senior Member

Barcelona
    Español de España / Catalán
    Exactly, referring to a person as "esto/eso/aquello" would be incredibly rude, because it would imply that you're referring to that person as a thing or animal.