estuve, estuvo

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Hege, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Hege Junior Member

Norway
    Norway, Norwegian
    Hola otra vez todos :p

I am studying hard today, have been sick the past week, so I have a lot to catch up on :) So therefore, here is yet another question :)

What does estube and estubo mean? I can not find the translation anywhere.. :(
    Is it another word that they only use in Argentina and South America?
    And how do you conjugate it?

Hege:):):)

2. andrea89 Senior Member

Zaragoza
    Spain
    ¿Estube and estubo? Do you mean "estuve and estuvo"?.
    If so,the verb is "estar" (Yo estuve, él estuvo)
    pretérito perfecto simple.

3. Hege Junior Member

Norway
    Norway, Norwegian
    my friend writes estube and estubo.. Just like I wrote it.. I am not sure what he means... :(

4. Hege Junior Member

Norway
    Norway, Norwegian
    I went back to the message he wrote, and as I look at the context he has written it in, it might be the same.. maybe they just write it differently in Argentina? Or it is some kind of "slang" maybe?

5. andrea89 Senior Member

Zaragoza
    Spain
    Well, im not sure if estube is used in Argentina or not because im from Spain but maybe they write them with "b".
    The correct way is estuve, using v instead of b.

6. Pumpkin72 Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain, Spanish
    It's just a mistake, trust me :)

It's the same in English, some people always confuse "there" with "they're", "than" with "then", "affect" with "effect", etc. In Spanish "v" and "b" sound the same, so sometimes we fail to write the right one...

Saludos.

7. Libertad Senior Member

Germany
    Germany/German
    Yes, i think also that it is a mistake, because my colombian friends sometimes make the same mistake. They know how to spell but they can make mistakes while writing. Because as you might know, spelling of b and v in spanish sometimes sounds the same.

Estuve allí = I was there.
    ¿Donde estuviste? = Where were you?

Hope it helps.

8. Joruro Senior Member

Barcelona
    Catalan native - Spanish native (Spain)
    Hege,
    you can be sure it is a mistake. It is "estar" and in past Yo estuve, él estuvo. It is a very common mistake, and I wonder why, in american spanish. Of course it is not only in there, but I have seen a lot of times in there, and not so many in Spain (for sure we have others). But, however, is a mistake.

9. andrea89 Senior Member

Zaragoza
    Spain
    I wonder the same.
    I wasn't sure if it was allowed in south america or not because ive seen the same mistake too many times.

10. natasha2000

natasha2000 Senior Member

Hello,

Just my two cents...

Mixing V and B as well as Y, and LL (ej: subrallar instead of subrayar) is a mistake made equaly in America as in Spain. I can confirm this since I chat a lot with both Spaniards and South Americans. On the other hand, more common mistake for South Americans than for Spaniards is mixing S on one side and C and Z on the other, i.e. it might happen they write S instead of C and Z. The reason is very simple. They pronounce it in the same way, while in Spain S is pronounced in one way and C and Z in the other. (ej. ofreser en vez de ofrecer).

Saludos.
    N.