...et en résonance avec tous ceux qu'Internet permet de mobiliser de par le monde

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by olliemae, Apr 26, 2008.

1. olliemae

olliemae Senior Member

Kyoto, Japan
    New Zealand/America, English
    Bonjour and hello,

"...et en résonance avec tous ceux qu'Internet permet de mobiliser de par le monde..."

I am waaaay beyond confused here. I would kind of guess
    "and in resonance with all those that the internet allows us to mobilize around the world"
    but there are some extra particles in the French I don't understand. And shouldn't it be "que l'Internet"? Help unconfuse me please!

Olivia

2. cropje_jnr

cropje_jnr Senior Member

Wollongong, Australia
    English - Australia
    Your translation sounds fine (to me), but no, we generally omit the article in French before "Internet" (it's a proper noun that should really be capitalised in English too, although it's understandable why such a common item generally isn't anymore :D).

3. melu85 Senior Member

Paris
    France/French
    "de par le monde"= commonly used nowadays to mean around the world, though it's not correct ("de par" should be used in such expressions as "de par le roi" , "de par la loi", and nothing else)
    L'Internet is the official way to put it but we tend to just say Internet (because we are so familiar with the concept now)

4. olliemae

olliemae Senior Member

Kyoto, Japan
    New Zealand/America, English
    Thank you both, although I must protest that the internet is commonly, and properly, lowercase now, at least in American English.