Et puis la voilà subitement comparée

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by sdray, Aug 16, 2011.

1. sdray Junior Member

English
    Hi there,

I don't understand the structure - in particular where is the subject and verb of this phrase 'Et puis là voilà subitement comparée à des légendes'

Here is the context from an article on Amy Winehouse:

Ce qui est vraiment intéressant, c’est ce revirement rapide. Si on se souvient bien, il y a deux ou trois ans, un tabloïd affichait une grande photo d’Amy dans un piteux état en une avec ce titre : “s’il vous plaît, que quelqu’un lui vienne en aide !” Et puis là voilà subitement comparée à des légendes comme Billie Holliday ou Edith Piaf.

I am thinking: ''And then suddenly here she is compared to legends like Billie Holiday or Edith Piaf"

Is "puis lá" equal to "then"?

SDRay

2. Quaeitur

Quaeitur Mod'elle

Lille, France
    French
    Hello sdray :)

There's a typo in the sentence. It should be: Et puis la voilà subitement comparée à which is another way to write Et maintenant elle est subitement comparée à ...

Is it clearer? ;)

3. Novanas Senior Member

English AE/Ireland
    Perhaps you can check your text again, because for me, " voilà" is a mistake. It should be "la voilà", I believe. "There she is. . ." I think in English we say something like, "Now all of a sudden she's being compared to. . ."

[Quaeitur got in ahead of me, but I'm glad to have that confirmation.]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. sdray Junior Member

English
    Thanks for clarifying that that is a typo. I guess the confusion now is that "la comparée" can be used as the equivalent of "elle est comparée." Not sure how that works grammatically. In English I suppose if we were dropping the main verb "is" we might say "Then suddenly compared to Billie Holiday" - unlikely that we would drop "she's" though. I still am not clear on how 'la' can be "elle"....

5. Quaeitur

Quaeitur Mod'elle

Lille, France
    French
    Actually, you can't remove the voila from the sentence. The structure is la voilà + past participle and is equivalent to Elle est + past participle. The la refers to Amy Winehouse. For a male one would use le.

6. Novanas Senior Member

English AE/Ireland
    "La voilà comparée" = "There she is compared". "Voilà" serves as a verb, and in fact the CNRTL lists it as such.

"She" is "La" in this case because it is in effect a direct object. "Je la vois" = "I see her", so "La voilà" = "There she is". A bit odd, I suppose, until you get used to it. (That is, for us English speakers. French speakers don't seem to have any trouble with it.)