1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

et toutes les autres choses

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Agnus dei, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Agnus dei Junior Member

Montreal
    French - Canada
    Bonjour!

I am writing an email to my colleagues and would need to know if the word whatnot can be at the plural form?

below is the sentence:

A show kit is a plastic bin containing all the tools, hardware, accessories and whatnot you need to perform your booth setup.

Should I add an s to whatnot?:confused:

2. Language Lassie

Language Lassie New Member

I wouldn't pluralize that word, but I also don't think I would use it, especially in a work context. Perhaps you should use etcetera or etc. instead, or simply leave it out...

"A show kit is a plastic bin containing all the tools, hardware, and accessories you need to perform your booth setup."

3. broglet

broglet Senior Member

England - English
    bonne idée - mais pas de virgule avant 'and' ici

Moderator note: The discussion about the serial comma was split to its own thread here.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  4. Agnus dei Junior Member

Montreal
    French - Canada
    Génial! Merciiii!

5. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    Make it even simpler: "A show kit is a plastic bin containing all the material you need to set up your booth."

6. alebeau

alebeau Senior Member

New Orleans, La.
    United States - English
    Hello,

In regard to the word "whatnot", I think it sounds very natural (and native) in your sentence. Sure, I wouldn't include it in a published article, but if it's just an email to a colleague (that you know), why not?

[…]

Best,

--AL

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  7. jrm456 New Member

French
    According to the main page, 'and whatnot' is informal. What would be a more formal equivalent then?

Thanks and regards

8. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    "And such like" is a more formal equivalent.

9. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Such like would sound strange in US English, I think. I'd have used etc. in the sample sentence, but JRM456, do you have a new context that prompts you to ask the question?