1. donnasaysboo New Member

English-Ireland
    I've come across the phrase "il est la demie". There is no context for it as it was in a vocab matching exercise, and I've checked and it is the correct answer. However, I can't figure out what it means? If anyone could help that would be great! Thanks!

2. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

Welcome to the WR Forum, donnasaysboo!

If it is for a matching exercise, it seems you are doing schoolwork.

In that case our rules require that you must give us your attempt at an answer--then others can help you--but we cannot do your schoolwork for you.

Thanks, wildan1 (Moderator)

3. donnasaysboo New Member

English-Ireland
    I would imagine it means something to do with how a person is feeling, like not at full strength perhaps? But unsure!

4. Pandora45 New Member

français
    In fact it has no link with a person's feelings.
    It refers to the hour. One would say "Il est la demie" when it's half past ten for instance. "La demie" has almost the same meaning as "la moitié" (a half).
    I wonder if there is an english equivalent for this expression ? Would it be possible to say "It is half the hour", which is (i guess) the literal translation of the french expression ?

5. donnasaysboo New Member

English-Ireland
    Cheers, thanks for the response! I suppose in English we say "it's half past" when there won't be confusion about the hour. Thanks again.