1. donnasaysboo New Member

English-Ireland
    I've come across the phrase "il est la demie". There is no context for it as it was in a vocab matching exercise, and I've checked and it is the correct answer. However, I can't figure out what it means? If anyone could help that would be great! Thanks!

2. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

Welcome to the WR Forum, donnasaysboo!

If it is for a matching exercise, it seems you are doing schoolwork.

In that case our rules require that you must give us your attempt at an answer--then others can help you--but we cannot do your schoolwork for you.

Thanks, wildan1 (Moderator)

3. donnasaysboo New Member

English-Ireland
    I would imagine it means something to do with how a person is feeling, like not at full strength perhaps? But unsure!

4. Pandora45 New Member

français
    In fact it has no link with a person's feelings.
    It refers to the hour. One would say "Il est la demie" when it's half past ten for instance. "La demie" has almost the same meaning as "la moitié" (a half).
    I wonder if there is an english equivalent for this expression ? Would it be possible to say "It is half the hour", which is (i guess) the literal translation of the french expression ?

5. donnasaysboo New Member

English-Ireland
    Cheers, thanks for the response! I suppose in English we say "it's half past" when there won't be confusion about the hour. Thanks again.