1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

etymology of decussata

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by mojobadshah, Mar 16, 2014.

1. mojobadshah Senior Member

I know decussata means X in Latin, but what is its etymology and cognates in Persian and other languages?

2. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    It does not mean X. It means "shaped like an X".
    "from Latin decussatus, past participle of decussare 'divide crosswise', from decussis (describing the figure X, i.e., the Roman numeral for the number 10), from decem 'ten'." (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/decussate?q=decussate)
    What makes you think it has cognates in Persian? (I suppose you could say that "ده" ("doh" = ten) would be cognate and other languages with Indo-European roots for "ten" I suppose could also be considered cognate...)

3. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    Yes, and more completely, decussis is from decem + as, i.e. "10 units/parts". It seems highly unlikely to me that Persian would have a cognate compound.

4. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Interesting. So what's the link between "number ten" and this X cross? Maybe there were 10 templar leaders?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  5. Angelo di fuoco Senior Member

Germany
    Russian & German (GER) bilingual
    The Romans used letters for numbers: I (1), V (5), X (10), L (50), C (100), D (500), M (1000). I, II, III are quite obvious, C (centum) & M (mille) are clear, too. I imagine 500 has the prefix demi- (half) in it. I'm not able to figure out the nexus between the first V, X & L and their respective numbers.
    I think that the X cross is what comes closest to the ideal structure of the Roman city with cardo (North-South axe) and decumanus (West-East axe) as the principle streets, cutting the square city into four equal parts.
    http://wordsmith.org/words/decuman.html

6. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    See the Wikipedia article: Roman numerals. The assimilation of the numeral symbols with letters of the Latin alphabet was apparently a later development.

7. Barsac Senior Member

region of Bordeaux
    french - français
    V is the image of a hand with 5 fingers. X is a compound of two V, so there are ten fingers.

8. sotos Senior Member

Greek
    The cross is the symbol of 10 in chinese, too. It may imply two hands put together.

9. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    The cross shape is also related with number ten (ON) in ancient Turkic culture. Although it's very complicated to explain it.

http://www.turksayokan.com/ongan.htm

This equilateral cross was first used in Central Asia and through there it reached Armenia.

10. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    recte: dah < Old Persian daϑa < IE *dekm

11. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    Thanks for the correction. I don't know Persian and was just going by what I'd remembered hearing years ago from Persian friends. I'd obviously misheard and was maybe subconsciously rhyming it with "noh"...

12. mojobadshah Senior Member

I was curious if there was a Persian cognate or even synonym for the galactic cross of Zoroastrianism which I presume is the cross said to be found on west Iranian coins. This mark is found on the consecrated Dron (cf. Dinner) bread used to drive away evil and I suppose death. It made its way into Mithraism at the banquet scene, and into Christianity as the bread and body for Jesus was the bread (Gk. artos ?Skr. arts Av. Asha) of life and heaven.

13. mojobadshah Senior Member

The galactic cross is the globulus curciger.

14. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    I think you mean globus cruciger.

15. mojobadshah Senior Member

Yeah, sorry.

16. mojobadshah Senior Member

The globulus crucifer developed out of the leontocephalion figure standing on the globe with cross.

17. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    *globus cruciger
    **Leontocephaline