Etymology of word qahwa

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by happykotoba, Apr 1, 2014.

1. happykotoba New Member

italian
    Hi at all!
    I am new in this forum and I would enquiry on this arabic word: qahwa.
    Does arab in alphabet too, belong to IE roots only?
    thanks

2. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
  3. Lugubert Senior Member

Göteborg
    Swedish
    If I understand your question correctly, Wikipedia gives you an answer.

4. happykotoba New Member

italian
    Hi origumi, thanks for answer....and what about the verb qahiya?Do the roots of this word lead to an exact meaning?
    thanks

5. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    Until someone with good Arabic language history knowledge shows up, I can quote the explanation that appears in many sources:
    http://studyinforeigncountries.blogspot.co.il/2011/07/etymology.html

6. happykotoba New Member

italian
    Already seen....Thanks of your aid, but the matter was the roots of word qahiya:what do q-h-y mean?
    Hope be clear.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
  7. happykotoba New Member

italian
    Maybe I should post in Arabic language forum?Shouldn't I?

8. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    origumi already gave you this information:
    The dictionary Lisan al-Arab, page 3767 agrees with this.

View attachment 13534

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  9. happykotoba New Member

italian
    Gentle Akoouha,thanks for your help....
    To be understandable...I would like to know why the word "qahi" which means "coffee" but also "do not have appetite" has these real meaning,why the roots of these words have this meaning....I would debate on the roots of this word which probably are "q-i" or "q-w-m"...
    I don't study Arab.... I am only a bit curious :)

10. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    Not q-i or q-w-m but q-h-w, as in qahwah. The etymology given above says it begins with a noun qahwah, a kind of wine; that is, this word has no known further Semitic etymology and is therefore probably a loanword from some other language (possibly one that had better vintages than North Arabian chardonnay :) ) Given a noun qahwah, it looks like it comes from a root q-h-w with an added feminine/singulative suffix -ah. The medial h can't disappear in the history of Arabic, but the final w can appear as y. I'm not sure, but I suspect the newly-created verb went qahiwa > qahiya under the influence of the middle vowel i, or more likely was created as qahiya to begin with because that's what happened to earlier -iwa verbs. The noun qahwah "kind of wine" therefore regularly gave rise to the verb qahiya "act like (drinking) qahwah on". That seems a simple enough semantic change.

11. happykotoba New Member

italian
    Thank you very much Entangledbank!!!
    This is what I wanted....Can I look for this explanation anywhere?
    However thanks a lot...

12. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    I don't know much about Arabic but could there be a relationship between the word keyif (Arabic loan in Turkish meaning joy, pleasure, high spirits) and kahve?

13. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    No relationship at all.

14. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    This whole [f] business, including the province of Kaffa, is spurious. The [f] came into the word in European languages, which rendered Turkish kahve as something phonetically close like [kafe], and the [f] spread from there. The [v] in Turkish represents Arabic [w]; the Arabic just has [w]. Changing [hv] to [f] is phonetically plausible; it is highly implausible (and a dirty big coincidence to boot) that Arabic [hw] could could have come from earlier [f]. The Ethopian province of Kaffa might be in vaguely the right place for the origin of the plant, but the [f] actually ignores the etymology, not supports it.

15. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    It is not clear, if the European versions with <f> or <ff> are derived from kahveh, Kaffa or a blend/confusion of the two.

I agree with you that it is improbable that Kaffa plays any etymological role within Turkish and Arabic.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014